Find IA, IB, IC, I1, I2, V0, VA Solutions

• Thread starter jdawg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ib Ic
In summary, the homework statement is to find IA, IB, IC, I1, I2, V0, VA. The Attempt at a Solution found IA=-0.4A, IB=(18/55)A, IC=(-29/55)A, and V0=-7.3V. When using v=iR to see if the same thing would be obtained, v=(-29/55)(10)= -5.27v. However, when using super meshes, equation1 for IA and IB got canceled out, and equation2 and equation3 did not give the same result. To solve for IA, IB, and IC, the super mesh constraint equation must be included.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Find IA, IB, IC, I1, I2, V0, VA

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(V0/10) = IA-IB

For IA: 10v + 10(IA+IC) + (IA-IB)=0
11(IA) - (IB) + 10(IC) = -10v

For IB: -(IB-IA) - 20(IB+IC) - 10(IB) = 0
IA - 31(IB) - 20(IC) = 0

For IC: 10(IA+IC) - 20(IC+IB) - 10(IC) = 0
10(IA) - 20(IB) - 20(IC) = 0

I then put these equations into a matrix (Sorry I don't know how to put them into a matrix on here) and used an online matrix calculator to get the currents:

IA= -0.4A
IB=(18/55)A
IC=(-29/55)A

So then I plugged these values into this formula:
(V0/10) = IA-IB
And got V0= -7.3V

But when I used v=iR to see if I would get the same thing I got

v=(-29/55)(10)= -5.27v

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• scan0002.pdf
    260.5 KB · Views: 208
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jdawg. Are you able to replace your pdf with a simple jpeg?

jdawg said:

Homework Statement

Find IA, IB, IC, I1, I2, V0, VA

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(V0/10) = IA-IB

For IA: 10v + 10(IA+IC) + (IA-IB)=0
11(IA) - (IB) + 10(IC) = -10v
Your term: IA-IB is a current, not a voltage. That won't work for a KVL statement.

The source in the center of the circuit is a current source. It has a value ##V_o / 10kΩ##, which you'll note is a current value. Lying between two meshes as it is, your instinct should be to form a Supermesh to avoid dealing with its unknown potential change in your KVL equations.

Fig1.png

Likes jdawg
Oh ok, I retried the problem using super meshes:

First I did a super mesh around the whole circuit:
10+10(IC)-10(IB) = 0
IC = IB - 1 equation1

Then I did a second super mesh around meshes IA and IB excluding IC:
10 - 10(IA+IC) - 20(IC+IB) - 10(IB) = 0
10(IA) + 30(IB) +30(IC) = 10 equation2

And then around IC:
-10(IC) - 10(IC+IA) - 20(IC+IB) = 0
IA +2(IB) +4(IC) = 0 equation3

I then plugged equation 1 into equation 2 and equation 3 and IB ended up canceling out. I'm not sure what I did wrong this time.

jdawg said:
Oh ok, I retried the problem using super meshes:

First I did a super mesh around the whole circuit:
10+10(IC)-10(IB) = 0
IC = IB - 1 equation1

Then I did a second super mesh around meshes IA and IB excluding IC:
10 - 10(IA+IC) - 20(IC+IB) - 10(IB) = 0
10(IA) + 30(IB) +30(IC) = 10 equation2

And then around IC:
-10(IC) - 10(IC+IA) - 20(IC+IB) = 0
IA +2(IB) +4(IC) = 0 equation3

I then plugged equation 1 into equation 2 and equation 3 and IB ended up canceling out. I'm not sure what I did wrong this time.
You only need two mesh equations plus the supernode constraint equation. Writing a third mesh equation doesn't provide new information, it just duplicates other information from the other two equations. That's why you found things cancelling out.

So, you previously wrote the required constraint equation relating IA, IB, and IC (via the controlled current supply). Use that in place of one of your mesh equations. Usually the approach is to combine the two loops with the shared current into a supermesh, and write regular mesh equations for any other loops.

Ok so I kept my super mesh 2 and IC equations. I'm still a little confused, so now I just write an equation for either loop IA or IB?

jdawg said:
Ok so I kept my super mesh 2 and IC equations. I'm still a little confused, so now I just write an equation for either loop IA or IB?

You can't write equations for loops IA or IB because you don't have a potential for the controlled current source. So you combine IA and IB into a supermesh as you've done, and then write mesh equations for what's left: that's loop IC.

Fig2.png

Likes jdawg
So now I have IA+3(IB)+3(IC) = 1 from the super mesh and IA+ 2(IB)+4(IC) = 0 for the IC loop. How do I solve for the three variables with only two equations? Sorry for asking so many questions!

jdawg said:
So now I have IA+3(IB)+3(IC) = 1 from the super mesh and IA+ 2(IB)+4(IC) = 0 for the IC loop. How do I solve for the three variables with only two equations? Sorry for asking so many questions!
You've forgotten the supermesh constraint equation.

Likes jdawg
Thanks so much for all your help!

Related to Find IA, IB, IC, I1, I2, V0, VA Solutions

1. What is the purpose of finding IA, IB, IC, I1, I2, V0, VA solutions?

Finding solutions for IA, IB, IC, I1, I2, V0, and VA is important for understanding and analyzing electrical circuits. These parameters represent the current and voltage values at different points in a circuit, and can help determine the behavior and performance of the circuit.

2. How do you find IA, IB, IC, I1, I2, V0, VA solutions?

To find IA, IB, IC, I1, I2, V0, and VA solutions, you will need to use Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and other circuit analysis techniques. These methods involve using mathematical equations and principles to solve for the unknown values of current and voltage.

3. What are the units for IA, IB, IC, I1, I2, V0, VA solutions?

The units for IA, IB, IC, I1, I2, V0, and VA solutions will depend on the units of the components in the circuit. For example, current is measured in amps (A) and voltage is measured in volts (V). It is important to keep track of the units when solving for these parameters.

4. Why is it important to find IA, IB, IC, I1, I2, V0, VA solutions?

Finding IA, IB, IC, I1, I2, V0, and VA solutions is important for many reasons. It can help troubleshoot and diagnose issues in a circuit, design and optimize circuit performance, and ensure safety by understanding the flow of current and voltage in a circuit.

5. Can IA, IB, IC, I1, I2, V0, VA solutions change in a circuit?

Yes, IA, IB, IC, I1, I2, V0, and VA solutions can change in a circuit depending on the components and their values, as well as external factors such as temperature and applied voltage. It is important to consider these variables when analyzing and solving for these parameters.