Find I through one of three resistors in a 3-battery circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Kirchhoff's laws to solve a circuit problem. The correct answer of 0.36 A is found by correctly applying Kirchhoff's loop law and taking into account the direction of potential differences in the loop.
kamhogo

Homework Statement

tmp_12234-20160405_043842-639066610.jpg
[/B]

Sorry for the quality of the image. This is the best I can come up with with my cellphone.

What is the current through the 10 ohms resistor?
Is the current from left to right or right to left?

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's loop law
Kirchhoff's junction law

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I1 = I2 + I3 ==> I3 = I1 -I2

2) -5(I1) + 12V - 10(I2) + 3V = 0
15V = 10(I2) + 5(I1)
I1 = (15V - 10(I2))/5

3) -5(I3) + 9V + 3V + 10(I2) = 0
-5(I1-I2) + 12V + 10 (I2) = 0
12V = -15 (I2) + 5 (I1)
= -15 (I2) + 15V - 10 (I2)
-3V = -25 (I2) ===> I2 = 0.12 A, from right to left.

This answer is incorrect. The correct answer is 0.36 A. Can someone please give me a hint as to what I'm doing wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the signs of the voltages in (3).

Simon Bridge said:
Check the signs of the voltages in (3).
3) -5 (I3) + 9V - 3V + 10(I2) = 0
-5 ( I1-I2 ) + 6V + 10 (I2) = 0
-5 (I1) + 5 (I2) + 6V + 10(I2) = 0
6V = 5 (I1) - 15 (I2)
6V = 15V - 25 (I2)
-9V/-25 ohms = I2 = 0.36A

I got to the right answer by trial and error. I don't understand why the 3V has to be negative when the current ( I2) is flowing through it from its negative terminal to its positive one. ...Can someone please explain?

kamhogo said:
I don't understand why the 3V has to be negative when the current ( I2) is flowing through it from its negative terminal to its positive one. ...Can someone please explain?
The potential difference across an ideal voltage supply does not depend upon the current or the direction of the current flowing through it. When you do your "KVL walk" around the loop you add or subtract the supply voltage strictly depending upon the direction that you pass through the fixed potential difference.

gneill said:
The potential difference across an ideal voltage supply does not depend upon the current or the direction of the current flowing through it. When you do your "KVL walk" around the loop you add or subtract the supply voltage strictly depending upon the direction that you pass through the fixed potential difference.
Ok. I get it. Thanks!

What I usually do is draw potential difference arrows next to the components ... the arrow points from the low potential end to the higher potential end: so it points from negative to positive by a battery and the opposite direction to the (proposed) current by a resistor.
When I traverse the loop, I add potential differences where I go in the direction of the arrow and subtract the ones where I go against the arrow.

Likes kamhogo
Simon Bridge said:
What I usually do is draw potential difference arrows next to the components ... the arrow points from the low potential end to the higher potential end: so it points from negative to positive by a battery and the opposite direction to the (proposed) current by a resistor.
When I traverse the loop, I add potential differences where I go in the direction of the arrow and subtract the ones where I go against the arrow.
Thanks for the tip!

Likes Simon Bridge

Related to Find I through one of three resistors in a 3-battery circuit

1. How do I calculate the total resistance in a 3-battery circuit?

The total resistance in a 3-battery circuit can be calculated by adding the individual resistances of each resistor. This can be represented by the formula: R(total) = R1 + R2 + R3.

2. Can I use Ohm's Law to find the total resistance in a 3-battery circuit?

Yes, Ohm's Law (V = IR) can be used to find the total resistance in a 3-battery circuit. By rearranging the formula to solve for resistance (R = V/I), you can plug in the values for voltage (V) and current (I) to find the total resistance (R).

3. What is the relationship between battery voltage and resistance in a circuit?

The relationship between battery voltage and resistance in a circuit is known as Ohm's Law. It states that the voltage (V) in a circuit is directly proportional to the current (I) and the resistance (R). In other words, as the resistance increases, the voltage also increases.

4. How can I determine which resistor has the most voltage drop in a 3-battery circuit?

To determine which resistor has the most voltage drop in a 3-battery circuit, you can use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL). This law states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop circuit is equal to the sum of the voltage sources. By applying KVL to the circuit, you can compare the voltage drops across each resistor and determine which has the highest value.

5. Can I use a multimeter to find the voltage across each resistor in a 3-battery circuit?

Yes, a multimeter can be used to find the voltage across each resistor in a 3-battery circuit. Set the multimeter to the voltage measuring function and place the probes across each resistor, one at a time. The reading on the multimeter will indicate the voltage drop across that specific resistor.