Find how long does it take to hit the ground from a car off a cliff

• Thread starter antphany
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Ground
In summary, the question is asking how long it takes for a 500kg car to hit the ground after driving off a 400m cliff. The equation used to solve this problem is d=1/2at^2, where d is distance, a is acceleration, and t is time. After some calculations, the correct answer is 9 seconds.
antphany

Homework Statement

A 500kg car drives of a 400m cliff located on the surface of the Earth how long does it take to hit the ground

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=mg
d=1/d at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i first did f=mg to find f
then i did f=ma converted that to find a
then did 1/2 at^2 converted that 2
d x 0.5 / 9.8 then i root it to find t
but i got the wrong answer, the answer is 9 seconds can some one tell me what i did wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're looking for an answer in metres, how far something is, is distance.

So the answer can't be 9 seconds. You already have how long it was in the air.

antphany said:
A 500kg car drives off a cliff at 50km/h how far would it land from the base of the cliff if it was in the air for 10 seconds

Homework Equations

F=ma
F=mg
d=1/d at^2
You are interested in its travel in the horizontal. The car experiences no acceleration horizontally.

NewtonianAlch said:
You're looking for an answer in metres, how far something is, is distance.

So the answer can't be 9 seconds. You already have how long it was in the air.

i been studying all night and its rly late i was combining 2 questions in 1 because i am soo tired i fixed the question now lol

antphany said:
A 500kg car drives of a 400m cliff located on the surface of the Earth how long does it take to hit the ground
This is an entirely different question, now. Your question has become: how long does it take something to fall 400 m, starting from rest.

What equation will you use for that?

Related to Find how long does it take to hit the ground from a car off a cliff

1. What factors affect the time it takes for a car to hit the ground from a cliff?

The main factors that affect the time it takes for a car to hit the ground from a cliff are the initial velocity of the car, the height of the cliff, and the effects of air resistance. Other factors such as the mass and shape of the car may also play a role.

2. How does air resistance affect the time it takes for a car to hit the ground from a cliff?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. As the car falls from the cliff, it experiences an increasing amount of air resistance which slows it down and ultimately affects the time it takes to reach the ground. The larger the surface area and shape of the car, the greater the air resistance and the longer it will take to hit the ground.

3. Can you calculate the exact time it takes for a car to hit the ground from a cliff?

Yes, the time it takes for a car to hit the ground from a cliff can be calculated using the formula t = sqrt((2h)/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height of the cliff in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). However, this calculation assumes no air resistance and only gives an estimate of the time.

4. How does the shape of the cliff affect the time it takes for a car to hit the ground?

The shape of the cliff can affect the time it takes for a car to hit the ground in two ways. First, if the cliff has a slope, the car will travel a longer distance horizontally before reaching the ground, resulting in a longer time. Second, if the cliff has a concave shape, it may cause the car to accelerate or decelerate differently, affecting the time it takes to reach the ground.

5. Can the time it takes for a car to hit the ground from a cliff be reduced?

Yes, the time it takes for a car to hit the ground from a cliff can be reduced by increasing the initial velocity of the car. This can be achieved by driving the car off the cliff at a higher speed. However, this also means the car will have a greater impact when it reaches the ground, potentially causing more damage.