Find Height of Ramp: H=1.0m, d=1.0m, θ=30°

• Thread starter onelildustbunn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height Ramp
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics homework problem involving a block sliding down a frictionless ramp and falling a distance H to the floor. The student is currently working on part D of the problem, where they need to find the height h using given values for H, d, and θ. They also mention using kinematic equations to solve the problem and seeking guidance on finding the acceleration on the ramp and determining the velocity at the end of the ramp.
onelildustbunn
Hi guys! This is due tomorrow and I'm finally breaking down to ask for help in figuring it out.

Homework Statement

"A small block is placed at height h on a frictionless ramp, which is inclined by an angle θ from the horizontal. Upon release, the block slides down the ramp then falls a distance H to the floor. A small hole is located a distance D from the end of the ramp. Assume the block is released from rest when it is in the position shown in the diagram."

I'm on part D:

Now let H=1.0 m, d=1.0 m, and θ=30°. Find the height h.

Here's the diagram given for the problem:

phys_1.jpg

Here is from part C (which definitely leads into part D):

phys_2.jpg

The teacher hinted that we should consider the box on the ramp and the box in the air as two semi-separate parts of the problem, in the style that you find one and use it to find the other.

Homework Equations

The kinematic equations:
Vf=Vi + aΔt
ΔS=ViΔt + 0.5a(Δt)2
Vf2= Vi2 +2aΔS

The Attempt at a Solution

What I think needs to happen: I need to find out everything I can about the freefall portion first, especially V1 and V2. Then because I know V0 is 0 m/s (rest), and also that acceleration on the ramp is constant, I can find the distance traveled. Once I know the length of the ramp, simple trig can tell me its height.

My problems:
I haven't been given θ1 or θ2, which I need to calculate the velocities during freefall. How do I figure it out? Would I be wrong in thinking θ10, which I know is 30° (the ramp angle)?

Also, once I know everything about the freefall, how would I figure out the acceleration on the ramp? I don't know the object's mass so I can't use forces.

Any guidance appreciated! I'm not great with physics but I'm trying! :eek:)

Physics news on Phys.org
onelildustbunn said:
What I think needs to happen: I need to find out everything I can about the freefall portion first, especially V1 and V2.
The order doesn't matter. Each part will give you equations involving the speed of launch from the ramp (your v1?).
I haven't been given θ1 or θ2,
Those being what angles?
From consideration of the forces while on the ramp, what is the acceleration down the ramp? Then, what are the horizontal and vertical components of it?

Thanks for responding! My comments about θ1 & θ2 probably didn't make sense because my second image didn't display with my post...sorry! Getting tired here :eek:(

I worked on the problem and came to an answer...this is what I did:

phys_3.jpg

I found the height (h) of the ramp to be 0.25 m. Does this seem right? Did I commit any major no-no's? I felt uncertain about V1y (velocity in the y direction) being 0 m/s, but I figured that if you think of the block at the instant it is off the ramp but before it begins to fall, it would only have velocity in the x direction, correct? It would have acceleration in the y direction of -g, but its initial velocity in the y direction would be 0. Was this an okay reasoning?

Thank you so much for any comments or guidance! :eek:)

onelildustbunn said:
I found the height (h) of the ramp to be 0.25 m.
How, by solving the kinematic equations?
Does this seem right? Did I commit any major no-no's? I felt uncertain about V1y (velocity in the y direction) being 0 m/s, but I figured that if you think of the block at the instant it is off the ramp but before it begins to fall, it would only have velocity in the x direction, correct?
No. It was moving down a ramp, and its velocity the instant after leaving the ramp will be the same as its velocity the instant before leaving.
Please, instead of making these wild leaps, try to follow the script. (There was another thread on the identical problem just recently, and I don't have another lifetime to spare.):
- Draw the free body diagram of the mass on the ramp
- Work out the acceleration in the down ramp direction
- Work out the horizontal and vertical components of that acceleration
- Use your kinematic equations and the unknown h to find the vertical velocity at end of ramp
- Then find the horizontal velocity at end of ramp
- From that, find the time to hit the hole
and we'll see where we go from there

Hello,

To find the height h, we can use the kinematic equations and the information given in the problem.

First, let's consider the freefall portion of the block. We know that the block is released from rest, so the initial velocity (Vi) is 0 m/s. We also know that the block falls a distance H, so we can use the formula ΔS=ViΔt + 0.5a(Δt)2 to find the time it takes for the block to fall.

ΔS=H, Vi=0, a=g (acceleration due to gravity), so we have:

H=0(Δt) + 0.5(g)(Δt)2

Simplifying, we get:

Δt=√(2H/g)

Now, let's consider the ramp portion of the block's motion. We know that the ramp is inclined at an angle θ=30°, and the distance d=1.0 m. Using trigonometry, we can find the length of the ramp (L):

L=d/sinθ

L=1.0/sin(30°)

L=2.0 m

Now, we can use the formula Vf2=Vi2 +2aΔS to find the final velocity (Vf) of the block at the end of the ramp.

Vf2=0 +2(g)(L)

Vf=√(2gL)

Vf=√(2g)(2.0)

Vf=√(4g)

Vf=2√g

Now, we can use the formula Vf=Vi + aΔt to find the initial velocity (Vi) of the block at the top of the ramp.

Vf=2√g, Δt=√(2H/g), a=g

2√g=Vi + (g)(√(2H/g))

Solving for Vi, we get:

Vi=2√g - √(2gH)

Finally, we can use the formula Vf=Vi + aΔt to find the acceleration (a) on the ramp.

Vf=2√g, Vi=2√g - √(2gH), Δt=√(2H/g)

2√g=2√g

Related to Find Height of Ramp: H=1.0m, d=1.0m, θ=30°

1. How do you find the height of a ramp with a given angle?

The height of a ramp can be found using the formula: H = d * sin(θ), where H is the height, d is the horizontal distance, and θ is the angle of the ramp.

2. What are the units for the height of the ramp?

The units for the height of the ramp depend on the units used for the horizontal distance (d). If d is measured in meters, then the height (H) will also be in meters.

3. How do you measure the horizontal distance of the ramp?

The horizontal distance (d) of the ramp can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler. Start at the bottom of the ramp and measure straight across to the top.

4. Can the height of the ramp be adjusted?

Yes, the height of the ramp can be adjusted by changing the angle (θ) or the horizontal distance (d). The formula for finding the height (H) will still be the same.

5. Why is it important to know the height of a ramp?

Knowing the height of a ramp is important for safety purposes, as it can help determine the slope and potential risk for accidents. It is also necessary for planning and building ramps for accessibility or other purposes.