Find heat loss given metabolic rate in a closed system

In summary, a 60 kg person exercising at a rate of 200W with 20% efficiency would generate 40W of heat. If that heat cannot be transferred to the surrounding, the person's body temperature would increase at a rate of 13.8 ◦C per hour. The specific heat of a human is 3.473 J/◦C.
fishes

Homework Statement

A 60 kg person is exercising in the gym, doing external work at a rate of 200W. If they have an efficiency of 20%, calculate the rate of temperature increase of their body if none of this heat was able to be transferred to their surrounds.
(a) 828 ◦C per hour. (b) 13.8 ◦C per hour. (c) 3.45 ◦C per hour. (d) 0.86 ◦C per hour.

Homework Equations

Specific Heat of human = 3.473

The Attempt at a Solution

Really basic question but I just can't wrap my head around it. One thing that confuses me is that I thought the 20% efficiency meant that 20% was used for work and that 80% was lost as heat but the last part of the question says "if none of this heat"?
I'm guessing that the answer is 13.8 because that makes the most sense -here is my attempt so far:

I multiplied specific heat and the man's mass together to get 208380J/◦C. I then worked out what 200 watts was in hours = 720,000J/H. I then found both 20% and 80% of this value (144000J/H and 576000J/h respectively) as I wasn't sure what part of the energy generated was heat. I'm not too sure on what to do here now, I know we need to get a value with temperature over hour. The only way I can see to do this by dividing one of the 2 J/H values with the J/temp value but none of those equations gives me an answer. Am I missing something really easy? Does anyone have an suggestions on how to improve with these unit conversion/problem solving questions?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
I got 3.45! So pretty much the thing that caused me the most confusion was what is generating the heat. Am I correct in normally assuming that when they say a human body is 20% efficient that means that 80% of the total energy generated to do work is lost to the environment as heat? The way I solved this question was taking the 200w to be the heat energy that is normally lost to the environment and plugged that into get 3.45. Is it the question's fault for putting in the line about efficiency even though we didn't use it in the equation or mine for misunderstanding something major? Is the only heat lost to the environment the 20% of energy used to do work? I would really appreciate it if someone would go through my mad ramblings and tell me what I'm not understanding.

Cheers

Hi there,
converting food (chemical energy) to work at 20% efficiency means that for every kJ of energy in the food 200 J can be used to do work (lift a weight, etc.); the remaining 800 J is heat. That heat is normally given off to the environment (breath, sweat, radiating, convection etc.). What you are asked to calculate is how fast this guy's body temperature goes up if he can't shed off that heat.

So the 3.45 ##^\circ##/h is NOT the right answer! That 200 W IS exiting the "system" (i.e. the guy).

Your first guess was a lot better. It shows that if you do a lot of work (200 W is quite hefty), you really need to be able to dispose of the waste heat, or you'll go into fever conditions within ten minutes!

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
Hi there,
converting food (chemical energy) to work at 20% efficiency means that for every kJ of energy in the food 200 J can be used to do work (lift a weight, etc.); the remaining 800 J is heat. That heat is normally given off to the environment (breath, sweat, radiating, convection etc.). What you are asked to calculate is how fast this guy's body temperature goes up if he can't shed off that heat.

So the 3.45 ##^\circ##/h is NOT the right answer! That 200 W IS exiting the "system" (i.e. the guy).

Your first guess was a lot better. It shows that if you do a lot of work (200 W is quite hefty), you really need to be able to dispose of the waste heat, or you'll go into fever conditions within ten minutes!

Well at least I was right the first time concerning what percentage = the heat lost. Makes a lot more sense in regards to the question as well as you'll have to use the 200w to find out what the 80% of heat lost is! I've just got to get better at working through these types of problems. Thanks a lot for the help.

I would suggest approaching this problem using the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. In this case, the person's metabolic rate is converting chemical energy into work and heat. The efficiency factor accounts for the portion of energy that is converted into work, leaving the remaining 80% as heat.

To calculate the heat loss, we can first find the total energy produced by the person's metabolic rate, which is 200 watts for 1 hour, or 720,000 joules. Since the efficiency is 20%, only 20% of this energy is converted into work, leaving 80% or 576,000 joules as heat.

Next, we can use the specific heat of a human (3.473 joules/gram °C) and the person's mass (60 kg) to calculate the change in temperature. Using the equation Q = mcΔT, we can rearrange to solve for ΔT. Plugging in the values, we get:

ΔT = Q/(mc) = (576,000 joules)/(60 kg * 3.473 joules/gram °C) = 2.92 °C

This means that in 1 hour, the person's body temperature would increase by 2.92 °C if none of the heat was able to be transferred to their surroundings.

To convert this to °C per hour, we can divide by 1 hour to get a rate of 2.92 °C per hour. Therefore, the correct answer is (c) 3.45 °C per hour. Option (a) is incorrect because it is much too high to be a realistic rate of temperature increase, and options (b) and (d) are incorrect because they do not take into account the efficiency factor and the specific heat of a human.

Related to Find heat loss given metabolic rate in a closed system

1. What is the relationship between metabolic rate and heat loss in a closed system?

The metabolic rate and heat loss in a closed system are directly related. The higher the metabolic rate, the higher the heat loss will be. This is because metabolic rate is the measure of energy production in the body, and this energy is released in the form of heat.

2. What is a closed system in terms of heat loss?

A closed system in terms of heat loss refers to a system where there is no exchange of heat with the surrounding environment. This means that the amount of heat in the system remains constant and any heat produced by metabolic processes cannot escape or be replenished from the environment.

3. How is heat loss calculated from metabolic rate in a closed system?

To calculate heat loss from metabolic rate in a closed system, the formula Q = M x C x ΔT is used, where Q is the heat loss, M is the metabolic rate, C is the specific heat capacity of the system, and ΔT is the change in temperature. The specific heat capacity is a constant value that depends on the material of the system.

4. What factors affect the accuracy of calculating heat loss from metabolic rate in a closed system?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating heat loss from metabolic rate in a closed system. These include variations in ambient temperature, humidity, and the body's ability to regulate heat. Additionally, the specific heat capacity of the system may vary depending on factors such as the amount of water in the system.

5. How can knowing heat loss from metabolic rate in a closed system be useful?

Knowing the heat loss from metabolic rate in a closed system can be useful for understanding the body's thermoregulation and energy production processes. It can also be used in various scientific studies and experiments to measure the energy expenditure of organisms and to determine the effects of environmental factors on metabolic rate and heat loss.