Find h⁻¹(x): Expression for x in terms of y

In summary: Yes, it is. If the initial function is given as y=f(x) the inverse function should also probably be stated as y=f^(-1)(x) so x is the independent variable in both. That's all. You can swap at the end if you like.In summary, x=(3y-5)/(7-2y) and y=(3x-5)/(7-2x).
nirvana1990
If h(x)=(3x-5)/(7-2x)

Find an expression for h^-1(x)

Here's my attempt!

y=(3x-5)/(7-2x)

(swap x for y): x=(3y-5)/(7-2y)

I've tried rearranging to find y in terms of x but I can't see how to do it!

x(-2y)=(3y-5)/7

-2y=(3y-5)/7

-2y/3y=-5/x

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't swap them in that manner. You try and rearrange so you get x as a function of y. More an issue of semantics I believe.

Let's say your function was y = f(x) = 1/(1+x) over x < -1 or -1 < x. Then 1/y = 1+x so x = 1/y - 1. That is x = f-1(y) = 1/y - 1 over y < 0 or 0 < y.

Did you try to multiply both sides by the denominator, distribute the y, then group your terms with x, then factor out the x?

Oh i think I've got it:

y=(3x-5)/(7-2y)
x=(3y-5)/(7-2y)
7x-2xy=3y-5
-2xy-3y=-5-7x
y(-2x-3)=-5-7x
y=(-5-7x)/(-2x-3)=h^-1(x)

Thanks for your help! xxx

You should start with y = (3x-5)/(7-2x) [not y=(3x-5)/(7-2y)] then apply the rules of elementary algebra until you have x = g(y).

I'll give you the first step: (7-2x)y = (3x-5)

Last edited:
EnumaElish said:
You should start with y = (3x-5)/(7-2x) [not y=(3x-5)/(7-2y)] then apply the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elemen...lementary_algebra]rules of elementary algebra until you have x = g(y).

I'll give you the first step: (7-2x)y = (3x-5)
Some books teach the variable switch first… but normally you show it in one step, not 2.

p.s. you probably want to factor out those negatives just to make it look pretty.

nirvana1990 said:
Oh i think I've got it:

y=(3x-5)/(7-2y)
x=(3y-5)/(7-2y)
7x-2xy=3y-5
-2xy-3y=-5-7x
y(-2x-3)=-5-7x
y=(-5-7x)/(-2x-3)=h^-1(x)
This is correct, except I would've switched the variables at the end.

Thats interesting, I've never seen the variables being swapped first so that threw me a bit. Is that just to maintain the notation that we usually have y = f(x).

Kurdt said:
Thats interesting, I've never seen the variables being swapped first so that threw me a bit. Is that just to maintain the notation that we usually have y = f(x).
no clue, i always thought it was silly myself. But they do.

Kurdt said:

Yes, it is. If the initial function is given as y=f(x) the inverse function should also probably be stated as y=f^(-1)(x) so x is the independent variable in both. That's all. You can swap at the end if you like.

Related to Find h⁻¹(x): Expression for x in terms of y

1. What is the purpose of finding h⁻¹(x)?

The purpose of finding h⁻¹(x) is to determine the inverse function of h(x), which is the function that "undoes" the original function and gives the original input value as the output.

2. How is h⁻¹(x) different from h(x)?

h⁻¹(x) is the inverse function of h(x), while h(x) is the original function. This means that h⁻¹(x) will have the input and output values of h(x) reversed.

3. Can h⁻¹(x) be found for any function h(x)?

No, h⁻¹(x) can only be found for one-to-one functions, which are functions where each input value has a unique output value. In other words, the function must pass both the horizontal line test and the vertical line test.

4. How do you find the inverse function h⁻¹(x)?

To find the inverse function h⁻¹(x), you need to switch the input and output variables. This means that every instance of x in h(x) will become y in h⁻¹(x), and every instance of y in h(x) will become x in h⁻¹(x). You can then solve for y to get the expression for x in terms of y.

5. What is the relationship between h(x) and h⁻¹(x)?

h(x) and h⁻¹(x) are inverse functions of each other, meaning that they "undo" each other. This means that when you plug the output of h(x) into h⁻¹(x), you will get the original input value, and vice versa.