Find G: Physics Lab Experiment w/ 50 g Masses & Stop-Clock

In summary, the conversation revolves around an upcoming lab where the individual needs to find G, the acceleration due to gravity. They have a set of materials including masses, a stand with a scale, a spring, and a stop-clock. The individual is seeking a method for conducting the experiment and mentions using equations for simple harmonic motion and spring extension. Another person suggests using the mass-spring oscillator to find the spring constant.
leviathanX777
1. I have a to do a lab this week myself, it's not an exam more of assessing if I can do it or not. Here's what I have;

1. a set of six calibrated 50 g masses,
2. a stand with scale graduated in cm,
3. a spring with attached holder for calibrated masses,
4. a stop-clock.

I have to find G, the acceleration due to gravity.

2. W=mg
3. I have no attempt, just need to know a brief method of doing this experiment.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Also I was thinking of using simple harmoic motion, Such as the equation s=-w^2s ? And perhaps the equation s=-kx for the extension of the spring? Reply soon because it's on Thursday and I really need help. Thanks.

You could use the mass-spring oscillator to find the spring constant (measure period).
Then you attach various masses and find the weights (from spring extension).

Related to Find G: Physics Lab Experiment w/ 50 g Masses & Stop-Clock

1. How do you calculate the value of G in this experiment?

To calculate the value of G, we will use the formula G = (4π²d)/(T²m), where d is the distance between the two masses, T is the time it takes for the masses to collide, and m is the mass of each individual mass. We will measure these values and plug them into the formula to determine the value of G.

2. What are the materials needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include two 50 g masses, a stop-clock, a ruler or measuring tape to measure the distance between the masses, and a flat surface to conduct the experiment on. It is also recommended to have a calculator to help with calculations.

3. How many trials should we conduct for accurate results?

To ensure accurate results, it is recommended to conduct at least three trials for this experiment. This will help to average out any errors and provide a more reliable value for G.

4. How does the distance between the masses affect the value of G?

The distance between the masses directly affects the value of G. As the distance increases, the force of gravity between the masses decreases, resulting in a lower value for G. Therefore, it is important to keep the distance consistent for accurate results.

5. What are some sources of error in this experiment?

Some sources of error in this experiment may include human error in timing the collision of the masses, discrepancies in the measurement of the distance between the masses, and external factors such as air resistance. It is important to minimize these errors by conducting multiple trials and ensuring precise measurements.