Find force required to move pole with static friction

In summary, the uniform 14-ft pole requires 150 lbs of force to be moved, and the coefficient of static friction for each contact location is 0.40.
bkw2694

Homework Statement

The uniform 14-ft pole weighs 150 lbs and is supported as shown. Calculate the force P required to move the pole if the coefficient of static friction for each contact location is 0.40.

(Sorry for the sideways images!)
[/B]
33eonbd.jpg

Homework Equations

1.) Fmax = μs*N
2.) ∑M = 0
3.) ∑Fx = 0
4.) ∑Fy = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Step 1[/B]
I began by setting up a FBD (shown below). At points A and B I have a Normal force N and friction force F. I placed the weight vector (150 lbs) in the middle of the 14 ft beam (so 7 ft). I calculated the angle closest to point B in order to find the x-direction distance to the weight vector (which I found to be 5.6 ft).

Step 2

Next I took the moment at point B, which gave me (-8)(NA) + (-5.6)(-150) - (6)(FA) = 0.

Based on equation #1 I assumed FA = (.40)(NA), so I used that to find NA = 80.769 lbs

Step 3
Using ∑Fy = 0, I found NA + NB - 150 = 0 to find NB = 69.230 lbs

Step 4
Fx = 0: ⇒ FA + FB - P = 0, which I found P = 60.

My book says the answer is 118.5 lbs, so I know I'm way off, but I'm not sure where exactly. I'm thinking I'm off somewhere in my FBD, but could be elsewhere too.

2qn5pty.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
What is meant by a "normal" force? Which way is the normal force when a point contacts flat or curved surface?

Likes bkw2694
haruspex said:
What is meant by a "normal" force? Which way is the normal force when a point contacts flat or curved surface?

After thinking about it, I realize that it's force perpendicular to the surface, so I FA direction would need to be perpendicular to the corner it's sitting on? And would the friction force then be perpendicular to the normal force? If that's the case, how would I go about solving for the magnitude of FA and FB without knowing the angle?

bkw2694 said:
After thinking about it, I realize that it's force perpendicular to the surface, so I FA direction would need to be perpendicular to the corner it's sitting on? And would the friction force then be perpendicular to the normal force? If that's the case, how would I go about solving for the magnitude of FA and FB without knowing the angle?
Yes, except that it doesn't mean anything to say 'perpendicular to the corner'. You mean perpendicular to th surface, so friction is parallel to the pole.
You know the angle from the given lengths, but there's no point in calculating the angle as such. You will only need trig functions of the angle, and these can be derived directly from the lengths.
A tip: always work algebraically as far as possible, only plugging in numbers at the final step. It minimises rounding errors and maximises comprehensibility. It often reduces effort too, since some variables might cancel out.

Likes bkw2694
haruspex said:
Yes, except that it doesn't mean anything to say 'perpendicular to the corner'. You mean perpendicular to th surface, so friction is parallel to the pole.
You know the angle from the given lengths, but there's no point in calculating the angle as such. You will only need trig functions of the angle, and these can be derived directly from the lengths.
A tip: always work algebraically as far as possible, only plugging in numbers at the final step. It minimises rounding errors and maximises comprehensibility. It often reduces effort too, since some variables might cancel out.

That got it, thanks again! I see what you mean about working algebraically seeing as I ended up with 118.66 due to rounding errors, but that's definitely the right method.

Related to Find force required to move pole with static friction

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of friction that occurs between two surfaces that are not moving relative to each other. It prevents an object from sliding when a force is applied to it.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are sliding past each other. Static friction is typically greater than kinetic friction.

3. How do you calculate the force required to move an object with static friction?

The force required to move an object with static friction can be calculated using the formula F = μsN, where μs is the coefficient of static friction and N is the normal force acting on the object.

4. What factors affect the static friction between two surfaces?

The coefficient of static friction is affected by the type of materials the surfaces are made of, the roughness of the surfaces, and the amount of force being applied to the object.

5. How can you reduce static friction?

Static friction can be reduced by using lubricants such as oil or grease between the two surfaces, or by increasing the surface area of contact between the surfaces. Additionally, reducing the weight of the object or decreasing the force being applied can also reduce static friction.