Find final rotational kinetic energy without knowing radius?

In summary, the rotational kinetic energy of a basketball rolling without slipping on a horizontal table is .506J.
matxjos

Homework Statement

A 0.125kg basketball is rolling w/out slipping on a horizontal table at 4.50 m/s when it rolls off the edge and it falls to the floor, 1.10 m below. What is the rotational kinetic energy of the ball right before hitting floor?

Homework Equations

KE rot: .5 I w^2
KE translational: .5 m v^2
PE: mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Initial: I figured out KE translational and PE for the initial conditions on the horizontal surface, these are easy.

I do not know how to get K rotational energy!

Final: I used vertical constant acceleration equations to find the final velocity. Then I got the kinetic energy right before hitting the floor. Potential energy is 0.

No idea how to get K rot energy!

I've been working on this problem forever (all morning). The answer to the problem is apparently 0.506J.

HOW?!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Once the ball leaves the table there's nothing to provide torque to change its rotation, so ignore everything that happens after it leaves the table.

Write an expression for the rotation rate of the ball as it rolls. That's the ##\omega## for your rotational kinetic energy expression. What expression will you use for the moment of inertia?

(P.S. I feel that the problem author used an incorrect moment of inertia; a basketball is a thin spherical shell, not a solid sphere).

gneill said:
Once the ball leaves the table there's nothing to provide torque to change its rotation, so ignore everything that happens after it leaves the table.

Write an expression for the rotation rate of the ball as it rolls. That's the ##\omega## for your rotational kinetic energy expression. What expression will you use for the moment of inertia?

(P.S. I feel that the problem author used an incorrect moment of inertia; a basketball is a thin spherical shell, not a solid sphere).

Well, a solid sphere's moment of inertia is 2/5MR^2. Is this the expression I use? I still don't know the radius...

I'm not even sure what you mean to write an expression for the rotation rate. Like in rad/s? I know how to get that from rev/min, or even m/s, but I don't know the radius. :(

Thanks for looking at this problem!

gneill said:

Wait, if there is no rotation after the ball leaves the table, does that mean the rotational energy is zero? Or just the same as the initial KE rot?

matxjos said:
Well, a solid sphere's moment of inertia is 2/5MR^2.
Solid basketballs?! That's serious training.
I still don't know the radius...
You'll find you don't need to. Just put in an unknown for it and it should cancel out later.
I'm not even sure what you mean to write an expression for the rotation rate. Like in rad/s?
Yes. Create another unknown for this, and an equation relating it to linear speed and radius.
if there is no rotation after the ball leaves the table
gneill said there'd be no change in rotation rate.

haruspex said:
Solid basketballs?! That's serious training.

You'll find you don't need to. Just put in an unknown for it and it should cancel out later.

Yes. Create another unknown for this, and an equation relating it to linear speed and radius.

gneill said there'd be no change in rotation rate.

Wow, thanks, I got the answer! I didn't realize things cancel out...physics is most confusing when that has to happen. But very interesting.

Thanks haruspex and gneill! :biggrin:

Related to Find final rotational kinetic energy without knowing radius?

1. What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its rotational motion. It is defined as half of the moment of inertia of the object multiplied by the square of its angular velocity.

2. How is rotational kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for calculating rotational kinetic energy is: K = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where K is the rotational kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity of the object.

3. What is the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the object.

4. Can rotational kinetic energy be calculated without knowing the radius?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the rotational kinetic energy without knowing the radius of the object. The formula for K does not include the radius, but it does depend on the moment of inertia, which can be calculated using other parameters such as the mass and shape of the object.

5. What are the units of rotational kinetic energy?

The units of rotational kinetic energy are joules (J), which is the standard unit for measuring energy. It can also be expressed in other equivalent units such as kilogram-meters squared per second squared (kg·m^2/s^2) or newton-meters (N·m).