Find Fg for G, M, m, and r: 5.21*109 mkg/s2

• Thread starter Ellen W.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary: So then I thought "black hole" but, again, the mass is not enough to form a black hole. So I'm stumped. Any guesses, @jedishrfu?It could be a small rocky planet with a very high density, like Mercury or Venus. Or it could be a fictional object with made-up parameters for the sake of the problem. Without more information, it's hard to say for sure.
Ellen W.

Homework Statement

Find Fg if G=6.67*10-11m3 kg-1s-2, M=2.6*1023 kg, m=1200kg, and r = 2000m

Homework Equations

Fg= -GMm/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

Fg=-GMm/r2

Fg=- (6.67*10-11m3kg-1s-2)(2.6*1023 kg)(1200kg)/(2000m)2

Fg=- (6.67*10-11m3kg-1s-2)(2.6*1023 kg)(1200kg)/4000000 m2

Fg= - 2.08*1016 kg m3 s-2/4000000m2

Fg= - 5,202,600,000 mkg/s2

Fg= - 5.21*109 mkg/s2

First, I'm not sure how to deal with the units here. I added the exponents across and subtracted if they had the same unit below them but I'm not sure I ended up with the right units. Also, I don't know if you can have a negative number in scientific notation. Lastly, I don't even know if the problem was solved correctly.

Thank you for any help, I'm beyond rusty at math like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ellen W. said:
mkg/s2
Look like a unit of force to you?
Ellen W. said:
don't know if you can have a negative number in scientific notation
Can you think of any reason there shouldn't be negative numbers?

Ellen W. said:
First, I'm not sure how to deal with the units here. I added the exponents across and subtracted if they had the same unit below them but I'm not sure I ended up with the right units.

I would think it best to leave the units out of the calculations . The formula will eventually work out to give you the Unit of force - Newton(N) .

Ellen W. said:
Also, I don't know if you can have a negative number in scientific notation. Lastly, I don't even know if the problem was solved correctly.

Yes you can . Scientific notation only helps to make working with large numbers easier - It doesn't have any relation with the sign of a number . -120000 = -1.2*105 .

Also , you seem to have worked out your answer probably .

Hope this helps .

Qwertywerty said:
I would think it best to leave the units out of the calculations . The formula will eventually work out to give you the Unit of force - Newton(N) .

No! Never leave out the units! Aside from needing units to be formally correct, the units provide a very neat way of checking your answers.

micromass said:
No! Never leave out the units! Aside from needing units to be formally correct, the units provide a very neat way of checking your answers.

Just to be clear , I was talking about using units during steps .

However , if this is what you intended to reply to , point well taken .

I am puzzled as to why this was titled "Algebra Question". Other than the "physics" involved in the given formula, this is purely arithmetic.

Your units are correct. The unit for Force is a Newton, which is defined as one kilogram times one meter per second squared (mass times acceleration).

An interesting problem. Realistically though, what could that massive object be?

insightful said:
An interesting problem. Realistically though, what could that massive object be?
It's not the mass in itself that's remarkable, it's less massive than the earth. The difficulty is combining that with a distance of 2000m.
Strictly speaking, there is not enough information. We have to assume that M is a sphere composed of concentric uniform spherical shells, with an outer radius less than 2000m.
Maybe there was more text in the original question.

insightful said:
My first thought was "neutron star" but, although the density is right, it doesn't have enough total mass to be one.

Related to Find Fg for G, M, m, and r: 5.21*109 mkg/s2

What is the formula for finding Fg?

The formula for finding Fg (force of gravity) is Fg = G * (M * m)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M and m are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

What is the value of G?

The value of G, also known as the gravitational constant, is 6.67 * 10^-11 m^3/kg*s^2. This is a universal constant that is used in the formula to calculate the force of gravity between two objects.

How do I calculate Fg using the given values?

To calculate Fg for G, M, m, and r, simply plug in the values into the formula Fg = G * (M * m)/r^2. Be sure to use the correct units for each value (meters for distance, kilograms for mass, and meters^3/kg*s^2 for G).

What are the units for Fg?

The units for Fg, or force of gravity, are Newtons (N). This is the unit for measuring force in the International System of Units (SI).

Can Fg ever be negative?

In most cases, Fg will be a positive value as gravity is an attractive force. However, if the two objects have opposite charges or if one is negatively charged, Fg can be negative. This indicates a repulsive force rather than an attractive force.