Electrical Engineering at University: Combining with Management?

In summary, electrical engineering is a course of study that may be combined with other fields such as management in order to maximize a person's chances of success. If you are American and want to study electrical engineering at a university, Kettering University is a good option. If you are not American and want to study electrical engineering, you should try to be as sure as possible about what you want to do before choosing a university.
chode
Hey. I'm pretty sure I want to do electrical engineering at Uni. Is anyone doing it? Can you reccoment any universities? What do you think of combining it with something else - like management?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey. who is this?

chode said:
Hey. I'm pretty sure I want to do electrical engineering at Uni. Is anyone doing it? Can you reccoment any universities? What do you think of combining it with something else - like management?

Thanks.
I don't understand why a lot of people ask questions like this. Do you live in mainland China? If so, you might want to say so, because I'd assume you'd want to know the good universities in mainland China. Where do you live, and where are you willing to go? Anyways, since you asked this question like this, I'm going to assume you're American, in which case I can't help you choose a specific university.

I took Engineering Science for first year, in which we learned what you'd learn in the Electrical Engineering program, but we did a little more. I find that people who go into engineering are (1) people who want money (2) people who don't know what they want, or, very rarely (I've never met one personally) (3) people who really enjoy engineering. Get a good idea of what engineering is, get a very good idea of the courses you will be taking, and exactly what you'll be studying. Electrical engineering is what I wanted to do all through high school, and I applied to two EE programs for university, but when I got to university and spent my first year in engineering, and taking courses on electricity and magnetism, I realized there's no way I want to do this (I find it way too boring).

You say you're "pretty sure" that you want to do EE. I'd say, try to be very sure, and if that's not possible, be as sure as you possibly can. Really look at all your options. It will take a lot of time, and you will have to take in an overwhelming amount of information (or so it will seem) but it's best in the end. Once you've figured out what you want to do, figure out where you want to go, but as I said, I probably can't help you there.

Can't recommend Unis (you know, except the ussual - like MIT :wink:),
but do recommend that if it's a good one - just
take EE to start with, it's difficult enough.
If you prefer management a good Uni is highly
advisable of course, and since it rather easier -
you can succeed very well if you're serious.

Last edited:
If you want to become an Engineer you should serously consider Universities the require Co-Ops. You can Co-Op at any university but you generally have to fit it into your schedule. Universities the require Co-Op usually do an alternating semester of school, semester working in your chosen field.

I personally recommend Kettering University for ME's or EE's especially those that want to work in the auto industry.

Good Luck.

1. What is the main focus of the Electrical Engineering and Management program?

The main focus of the Electrical Engineering and Management program is to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of both electrical engineering principles and business management concepts. This combination of skills prepares students for careers in various industries, including technology, consulting, and entrepreneurship.

2. What are the benefits of combining electrical engineering with management?

Combining electrical engineering with management allows students to develop a unique set of skills that are highly sought after in today's job market. Graduates of this program have a strong technical background in electrical engineering and are also equipped with the business acumen to effectively manage projects, teams, and resources.

3. Can students in this program choose a specific focus or specialization?

Yes, students in this program have the flexibility to choose a specific focus or specialization within the field of electrical engineering and management. This could include areas such as power systems, telecommunications, or project management. Students can also choose to pursue a double major or minor in a related field, such as computer science or finance.

4. What type of courses can students expect to take in this program?

Students in this program will take a combination of electrical engineering and management courses. Examples of electrical engineering courses may include circuit analysis, digital systems, and control systems. Management courses may cover topics such as project management, organizational behavior, and finance.

5. Are there any opportunities for hands-on learning in this program?

Yes, there are opportunities for hands-on learning in this program. Students may have the chance to participate in laboratory experiments, design projects, and internships. These experiences allow students to apply their knowledge and skills in real-world situations and gain practical experience that is highly valued by employers.