Find Extension of Springs: $\vec{r}$, $T$, and $x_E$

In summary, the conversation discusses a second question about a spring attached to a ceiling with a particle of mass m attached to the other end. The extension of the spring in equilibrium is found using the modulus of elasticity λ. The equations of motion for the particle are then derived, and solutions for the vertical displacement are given for different initial conditions. The conversation also touches on the use of area in calculating the extension of the spring.
Carla1985
Second question I am stuck on:

A spring of natural length l with modulus of elasticity λ has one end fixed to the ceiling. A particle of mass m is attached to the other end of the spring and is left to hang in its equilibrium position under the influence of gravity.

(i) Find the extension $x_E$ of the spring in the equilibrium position.

(ii) The particle is now lowered a distance $a$ below its equilibrium position and released from rest. Working from N2, show that if $z$ denotes the vertical displacement of the particle below its equilibrium position and we neglect theeffects of air resistance, then

$\ddot{z}+ω^2z = 0$,

where $ω^2 = λ/(lm)$. Deduce that $z(t) = a cos(ωt)$.

(iii) Suppose now that the particle is initially at the equilibrium position and is given a positive downward initial velocity $\dot{z}(0) = b$. Show that in this case,

$z(t) = \frac{b}{ω} sin ωt$,

and hence find the first time when the particle comes to rest."

I'm really stuck on this one. I know the position vector of the particle is $\vec{r}=(l+x)\vec{k}$

and I think $T=\frac{\lambda x_E}{l}$ so $x_E=\frac{Tlm}{\lambda}$ but not sure if that's way off.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Carla1985 said:
Second question I am stuck on:

A spring of natural length l with modulus of elasticity λ has one end fixed to the ceiling. A particle of mass m is attached to the other end of the spring and is left to hang in its equilibrium position under the influence of gravity.

(i) Find the extension $x_E$ of the spring in the equilibrium position.

(ii) The particle is now lowered a distance $a$ below its equilibrium position and released from rest. Working from N2, show that if $z$ denotes the vertical displacement of the particle below its equilibrium position and we neglect theeffects of air resistance, then

$\ddot{z}+ω^2z = 0$,

where $ω^2 = λ/(lm)$. Deduce that $z(t) = a cos(ωt)$.

(iii) Suppose now that the particle is initially at the equilibrium position and is given a positive downward initial velocity $\dot{z}(0) = b$. Show that in this case,

$z(t) = \frac{b}{ω} sin ωt$,

and hence find the first time when the particle comes to rest."

I'm really stuck on this one. I know the position vector of the particle is $\vec{r}=(l+x)\vec{k}$

and I think $T=\frac{\lambda x_E}{l}$ so $x_E=\frac{Tlm}{\lambda}$ but not sure if that's way off.

Thanks

Hi again Carla! ;)

The modulus of elasticity λ is a property of a material.
To use it, you need the area of a cross section of the material.
So you need to use that
\(\displaystyle \qquad \displaystyle \lambda = \frac{\text{stress}}{\text{strain}} = \frac{F/A}{x_E/l}\)
where F is the force of gravity and A is the area of a cross section.Note that this can be rewritten as
\(\displaystyle \qquad F=\frac{\lambda A}{l} x_E = k x_E\)
which is the usual form of Hooke's law, meaning that the extension of a spring is linear with the applied force.Btw, in the equilibrium position, you would have that $T$ is equal to $mg$.

So the extension of the spring is $x_E=F\frac{l}{\lambda A}$? I'm a little confused by the A if I'm honest. In class we've just used λx/l and have never mentioned using the area of anything :/

Carla1985 said:
So the extension of the spring is $x_E=F\frac{l}{\lambda A}$? I'm a little confused by the A if I'm honest. In class we've just used λx/l and have never mentioned using the area of anything :/

Yes.

It appears you are using a different modulus of elasticity in class.
My reference is the version on wiki: Elastic modulus or Young's modulus.

But if you're using F=λx/l in class, you'd get $x_E=F\frac{l}{\lambda}$.

Then it seems as if you've only made a mistake substituting $T=mg$.

Yes, and the rest of the question makes a lot more sense now :) Thank you ever so much for your help. It is very much appreciated x

Related to Find Extension of Springs: $\vec{r}$, $T$, and $x_E$

1. How do you find the extension of a spring?

To find the extension of a spring, you would need to measure the original length of the spring, the applied force (or tension), and the spring's constant. Then, you can use the formula x = F/k, where x is the extension, F is the applied force, and k is the spring constant.

2. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant is a measure of how stiff a spring is. It is represented by the letter k and is measured in units of force per unit distance (such as N/m or lbs/in).

3. Can the extension of a spring be negative?

Yes, the extension of a spring can be negative. This means that the spring is compressed instead of stretched. The force applied to the spring in this case would be in the opposite direction of the spring's natural length.

4. How does the applied force affect the extension of a spring?

The applied force and the extension of a spring are directly proportional. This means that as the applied force increases, the extension of the spring also increases. Similarly, as the applied force decreases, the extension of the spring decreases.

5. Can the extension of a spring be used to calculate other properties?

Yes, the extension of a spring can be used to calculate other properties, such as the potential energy stored in the spring. It can also be used to determine the work done by the spring or the frequency of oscillation in a spring-mass system.