Find Excess Charge on Capacitor 2 Given 10V Battery & 5x20µF Capacitors

• Thread starter DivGradCurl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary: So, could you please explain why Q_2 = V_2 C_2 = Q_{S1} = V_{P1} C_{S1} = \frac{Q_{S2}}{C_{P1}} C_{S1} = \frac{VC_{S2}}{C_{P1}} C_{S1} = 4 \times 10^{-5} \mathrm{ C}?In summary, through a series of calculations, the excess charge on capacitor 2 is found to be 4 x 10^-5 C. This is achieved by working backwards from the desired result and using relationships between the different components in the circuit.
DivGradCurl
In the figure attached, the battery has a potential difference of 10 V and the five capacitors each have a capacitance of 20 µF. What is the excess charge on capacitor 2?

I go inside out from the capacitors in series [tex]C_2[/tex] and [tex]C_3[/tex]. My notation simply denotes the equivalent resistance depending on the type of connection (series/parallel).

[tex]C_{S1}= \left( \frac{1}{C_2} + \frac{1}{C_3} \right) ^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]C_{P1}= C_{S1} + C_4[/tex]

[tex]C_{S2}= \left( \frac{1}{C_{P1}} + \frac{1}{C_5} \right) ^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]C_{P2}= C_{S2} + C_1[/tex]

It also follows that

[tex]Q_2 = Q_3 = Q_{S1}[/tex]

[tex]V_4 = V_{S1}[/tex]

[tex]Q_5 = Q_{P1} = Q_{S2}[/tex]

[tex]V_1 = V_{S2}[/tex]

So, I get

[tex]Q_2 = Q_{S1} = V_{S1} C_{S1} = 1.0\bar{6} \times 10^{-4} \mbox{ C}[/tex]

which is wrong! Could anybody please help me find the mistake?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Attachments

• circuit_capacitors.bmp
    77.5 KB · Views: 603
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get Vs1? It isn't 10V, because some of the voltage goes to C5,
if you correctly found the Vs1 and just didn't show the work then it looks right to me.
I would find the Qs2 = Qp1 and then find how much Q goes to the different parts of p1 - how much of Qp1 goes to C4 and how much goes to s1.

I think I finally have it! I worked backwards from the desired result and used some relationships to guide me through.
[tex]Q_2 = V_2 C_2 = Q_{S1} = V_{P1} C_{S1} = \frac{Q_{S2}}{C_{P1}} C_{S1} = \frac{VC_{S2}}{C_{P1}} C_{S1} = 4 \times 10^{-5} \mathrm{ C}[/tex]
Is this correct?
Thank you

I've just tried that result in my online homework page, and it works!

Related to Find Excess Charge on Capacitor 2 Given 10V Battery & 5x20µF Capacitors

1. How do I calculate the excess charge on Capacitor 2?

The excess charge on Capacitor 2 can be calculated by using the formula Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage. In this case, the capacitance of Capacitor 2 is 5x20µF=100µF, and the voltage is 10V. Therefore, the excess charge on Capacitor 2 is 100µF x 10V = 1000µC.

2. Why is the battery voltage given in the equation?

The battery voltage is given in the equation because it represents the potential difference between the two plates of the capacitor. This potential difference is necessary for the capacitor to store charge.

3. Can I use this equation for any number of capacitors?

Yes, this equation can be used for any number of capacitors connected in series as long as the voltage across each capacitor is the same. However, if the capacitors are connected in parallel, the equivalent capacitance must be calculated first before using the equation.

4. What is the unit of measurement for capacitance?

The unit of measurement for capacitance is Farad (F). In this equation, the capacitance is given in microfarads (µF), which is equal to 10^-6 Farads.

5. How does the excess charge on Capacitor 2 affect the overall circuit?

The excess charge on Capacitor 2 affects the overall circuit by increasing the total energy stored in the capacitors. This can potentially lead to a higher voltage across the capacitors and may impact the behavior of other components in the circuit.