Find Exact Values of Sin, Cos and Tan with Graph Symmetry

In summary, Casio is looking for a way to graph trigonometric functions using radians for presentation. They are unsure about using a software update due to previous issues and are considering using Excel as a possible option. They also want to plot points on the graph using radians instead of degrees.
Casio1
Hi,

I have included a sketch drawing of a graph that I am not entiry sure is correct for what I am trying to do?

I have found the exact values of Sin, Cos and Tan of some given values in radians, and am asked to use the symmetry of graphs of sin, cos and tan to find the exact values of some more given data in radians.

I don't want the work to be done for me, but would appreciate some help how to either draw the graphs or recommend a piece of software that will draw the graphs, but allow me to enter the data in radians (exact form) for presentation.

Kind regards

Casio

Attachments

• Sin x.png
    Sin x.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 53
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can graph the trig functions in ms-excel to be used for presentation.

When finding addtional solutions add/subtract the period to your initial solutions

Casio said:
Hi,

I have included a sketch drawing of a graph that I am not entiry sure is correct for what I am trying to do?

I have found the exact values of Sin, Cos and Tan of some given values in radians, and am asked to use the symmetry of graphs of sin, cos and tan to find the exact values of some more given data in radians.

I don't want the work to be done for me, but would appreciate some help how to either draw the graphs or recommend a piece of software that will draw the graphs, but allow me to enter the data in radians (exact form) for presentation.

Kind regards

Casio

Hi Casio, :)

One online graphing tool that you can use is the >>Desmos Graphing Calculator<<. What particular set of points do you want to mark on the graph?

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Thanks for the replies I have marked thanks for all.

The software requires me to update to windows 9 however if I do that as I did once before, the bugs they had not sorted out caused me problems on my computer, so I am unsure about that now?

I must admit though I did not think about Excell to do it as the templates on there seem limited and I have not seen anything on that program to create circles in conjunction with sine waves, so if that is possible with excell it will be a fast learning curve for me;)What I want to do if my diagram is anything like what it should be is to plot some points on the graph and instead of writing degrees on the graph, I would like to use radians, i.e. pi/3 on the graph.

kind regards

Casio (Smile)

Dear Casio,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your graphing project. I am happy to help you understand how to use graph symmetry to find the exact values of sin, cos, and tan.

Firstly, I would recommend using a graphing calculator or online graphing tool that allows you to enter data in radians. This way, you can easily plot the points and see the symmetry of the graph.

To find the exact values of sin, cos, and tan using graph symmetry, you can follow these steps:

1. Plot the given data points on the graph in radians.
2. Look for any patterns or symmetries in the graph.
3. For sin, the graph is symmetric about the origin (0,0). This means that if you draw a line through the origin, the points on one side of the line will have the same y-coordinate as the points on the other side, but with opposite signs. Using this symmetry, you can easily find the exact values of sin for any given data point.
4. For cos, the graph is symmetric about the y-axis. This means that if you draw a line through the y-axis, the points on one side of the line will have the same x-coordinate as the points on the other side, but with opposite signs. Using this symmetry, you can find the exact values of cos for any given data point.
5. For tan, the graph is symmetric about the origin and the x-axis. This means that if you draw a line through the origin and the x-axis, the points on one side of the line will have the same x and y coordinates as the points on the other side, but with opposite signs. Again, using this symmetry, you can easily find the exact values of tan for any given data point.

I hope this helps you understand how to use graph symmetry to find the exact values of sin, cos, and tan. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Related to Find Exact Values of Sin, Cos and Tan with Graph Symmetry

What is the definition of sin, cos, and tan?

Sin, cos, and tan are three trigonometric functions that are used to represent the relationship between the sides and angles of a right triangle.

What is the process for finding exact values of sin, cos, and tan with graph symmetry?

The process for finding exact values of sin, cos, and tan with graph symmetry involves using the unit circle and the coordinates of the point where the reference angle intersects with the unit circle. The x-coordinate represents the cos value, the y-coordinate represents the sin value, and the tangent is the ratio of the sin and cos values.

What is the significance of graph symmetry when finding exact values of sin, cos, and tan?

Graph symmetry is important when finding exact values of sin, cos, and tan because it allows us to determine the positive or negative sign of the trigonometric function. This is important when using the unit circle to find exact values.

Can the exact values of sin, cos, and tan be found for all angles?

Yes, the exact values of sin, cos, and tan can be found for all angles, as long as the angle is given in radians. This is because the unit circle is a continuous curve and can represent any angle between 0 and 2π radians.

What are some common mistakes when finding exact values of sin, cos, and tan with graph symmetry?

Some common mistakes when finding exact values of sin, cos, and tan with graph symmetry include using the wrong quadrant for the reference angle, forgetting to include the negative sign for certain quadrants, and using degrees instead of radians.