Find equation of a Hyperbola that passes through two ordered pairs

• Thread starter synergix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hyperbola
In summary, the student attempted to solve the problem by taking the square root of both sides first and then substituting it into the original equations. The student did not get a correct answer and was not sure how to solve the equation correctly.
synergix

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the hyperbola that passes through the points (-3,-2) and (4, sqrt(5))

Homework Equations

x^2/a^2 -y^2/b^2=1 or y^2/a^2 - x^2/b^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

To solve this problem I first started by setting up two equations containing the two ordered pairs. Then I solved for b for (1) and then substituted that into (2).

I used the standard form X^2/a^2 - y^2/b^2 = 1 for both

so..

(1) 9/a^2 - 4/b^2 = 1 and (2) 16/a^2 - 5/b^2 = 1

and...
I didn't get answers that checked.
I am wondering if I am even allowed to do that substitution I don't know if that is correct or not so what I am trying to determine is whether I am approaching this problem incorrectly or if my approach is sound but a mistake was made somewhere in my calculations?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, just as there are an infinite number of circles that pass through two given points, so there are an infinite number of hyperbolas that pass through two given points. You are also assuming that the axes of symmetry are the x and y axes and that the center of the hyperbola is the origin though you do not give those as conditions.

Certainly, assuming that, the equation can be written as [itex]x^2/a^2- y^2/b^2= 1[/itex] or [itex]y^2/b^2- x^2/a^2= 1[/itex]. Trying the first, yes, the fact that the hyperbola goes through (-3, -2) gives [itex]9/a^2- 4/b^2= 1[/itex] and the fact that it goes through [itex](4,\sqrt{5})[/itex] gives [itex]16/a^2- 5/b^2= 1[/itex].

But it is impossible to say what you are doing wrong if you don't show what you did. HOW did you solve those equations and what result did you get? If you did not get a correct result, did you then try [itex]y^2/b^2- x^2/a^2= 1[/itex]?

Ok I made a mistake... I have tried again using Y^2/a^2-x^2/b^2=1

so I am solving the first equation for a
To eliminate the fractions I times both sides by a squared times b squared
(4/a^2-9/b^2=1)a^2b^2

4b^2-9a^2-a^2b^2=0

now I am stuck :( BTW my first attempt was incorrect(obviously) but I only got passed this point because I incorrectly manipulated the equations. I am not sure how to isolate the "a" variable here I will try to figure it out on my own in the meantime but if you could help that would be great.

Alright I managed it. I started this problem late last night(lame excuse) and I made a mistake when I was rearranging the equations but anyways I have solved it now and my answers checked thx!

Last edited:

Related to Find equation of a Hyperbola that passes through two ordered pairs

1. How do you find the equation of a hyperbola that passes through two ordered pairs?

The equation of a hyperbola can be found by using the standard form for a hyperbola: (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1. The values of h and k can be found by using the two given ordered pairs as (h,k) and solving for a and b using the distance formula.

2. What are the steps for finding the equation of a hyperbola that passes through two ordered pairs?

The steps for finding the equation of a hyperbola that passes through two ordered pairs are:
1. Write the standard form of a hyperbola: (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1
2. Substitute the given ordered pairs into the equation as (h,k)
3. Use the distance formula to find the values of a and b
4. Substitute the values of a, b, h, and k into the equation to get the final equation of the hyperbola.

3. Can a hyperbola pass through two ordered pairs that are both on the same side of the x-axis?

Yes, a hyperbola can pass through two ordered pairs that are both on the same side of the x-axis. As long as the two ordered pairs are not on the same horizontal line, a hyperbola can be drawn through them.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of the ordered pairs for a hyperbola to pass through them?

Yes, for a hyperbola to pass through two ordered pairs, the x-coordinates of the two points cannot be the same, and the y-coordinates of the two points cannot be the same. If these conditions are not met, the equation of a hyperbola cannot be found.

5. Can the equation of a hyperbola be found if only one ordered pair is given?

No, the equation of a hyperbola cannot be found with only one ordered pair. At least two ordered pairs are needed to find the equation of a hyperbola that passes through them.