Find Equation for Hyperbola or Ellipse

In summary, the conversation discusses a mistake made in solving an equation and the request for help in deleting the thread. The mistake is not specified, but the correct equation is provided. The conversation also mentions completing the square in the y terms to solve the equation.
realism877

Homework Statement

6x2 + 8y2 + 32y - 16 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I made a mistake.

This is how far I got

4(x-4)^+3(y+9)^=120

I made a mistake. Can someone delete this thread?

What did I do wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
realism877 said:

Homework Statement

6x2 + 8y2 + 32y - 16 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I made a mistake.

This is how far I got

4(x-4)^+3(y+9)^=120

I made a mistake. Can someone delete this thread?

What did I do wrong?

I can't tell what you did wrong since you didn't show your work, but the equation you ended with isn't right.

6x2 + 8y2 + 32y - 16 = 0
<==> 6x2 + 8y2 + 32y = 16
Now complete the square in the y terms so that the equation becomes
[tex]\frac{x^2}{a^2} + \frac{(y - k)^2}{b^2} = 1[/tex]

Since there is no first-degree x term in the original equation, don't try to complete the square in the x terms.

Related to Find Equation for Hyperbola or Ellipse

1. What is the difference between a hyperbola and an ellipse?

A hyperbola is a type of conic section that has two distinct branches, while an ellipse is a closed curve with a single, continuous shape. In an ellipse, the distance from the center to any point on the curve remains constant, while in a hyperbola, the difference between the distances to the two foci remains constant.

2. How do I determine the center of a hyperbola or ellipse?

The center of a hyperbola or ellipse is the point where the two axes intersect. To find the center, you can use the equation (h,k) which represents the coordinates of the center point on the x and y axes.

3. What is the standard form for the equation of a hyperbola or ellipse?

The standard form for the equation of a hyperbola is (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1 or (y-k)^2/a^2 - (x-h)^2/b^2 = 1, depending on the orientation of the hyperbola. The standard form for the equation of an ellipse is (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1 or (y-k)^2/a^2 + (x-h)^2/b^2 = 1, depending on the orientation of the ellipse. Here, (h,k) represents the coordinates of the center point, and a and b represent the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes respectively.

4. How do I find the foci of a hyperbola or an ellipse?

The foci of a hyperbola or an ellipse can be found using the equation c^2 = a^2 + b^2, where c is the distance from the center to the focus, and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes respectively. The foci are located on the major axis of the hyperbola or ellipse, with a distance of c from the center.

5. What information do I need to find the equation for a hyperbola or ellipse?

To find the equation for a hyperbola, you need to know the coordinates of the center point, the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, and the orientation of the hyperbola. To find the equation for an ellipse, you need to know the coordinates of the center point, the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, and the orientation of the ellipse. You may also need to know the coordinates of one or two points on the curve to determine the direction and magnitude of the axes.