Exploring the Significance of Conifolds in Superstring Theory

• Thread starter meteor
  • Start date
In summary, there are an infinite number of string vacua in the big-number theory, which is a branch of mathematics that studies numbers that are too large for the current mathematical models to contain.
meteor
What's a conifold worth for?
My investigations have lead me to the conclusion that a conifold consist of two cones united by the vertex. What a strange construction! So what's the role of conifolds in superstring theory?
So, why there are so many constructions in superstring theory that end in -old (e.g. orientifold)?

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by meteor
What's a conifold worth for?
My investigations have lead me to the conclusion that a conifold consist of two cones united by the vertex. What a strange construction! So what's the role of conifolds in superstring theory?
So, why there are so many constructions in superstring theory that end in -old (e.g. orientifold)?

i don t know what a conifold is, but i can tell you that all the -fold words come from constructions of manifolds. these are just different kinds of manifolds.

Some of the jargon related to conifolds:
- conifold singularity
- conifold metric
- deformed conifold
- resolved conifold

I would like to know what are all these things

The term "conifold" is a contraction of "cone" and the suffix "-fold", the latter of which derives from "manifold". Whereas a manifold (like the surface of a sphere or a donut) is smooth at every point, a conifold is allowed to have conically singular (non-smooth) points. Think of a sphere sprouting sharp quills like a porcupine, or imagine the surface of a donut being made more and more slender at one place until it pinches down to a point, so the result resembles a croissant the conical tips of which are brought together to touch.

The conifolds in string theory are complex 3-dimensional (real 6-dimensional), and are impossible to depict. Nevertheless the equations defining them allow us to identify the points where they are not smooth, and verify that the immediate neighborhood of those singular points are like a cone.

Check out also the Wikipedia article on conifolds.

Cheers, Tristan

Hi Tristan,

Wellcome to the Physics Forums!

As you are an expert for Calabi-Yau, could you update/correct my recent post #7 in
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=381501
The topic is about big numbers in physics, and I mentioned the number of string vacua ...

What is a conifold worth for?

A conifold is a mathematical concept related to the study of algebraic geometry. It is not something that has a monetary value or can be bought or sold.

What is the significance of a conifold?

A conifold is important in physics and mathematics as it helps to describe certain types of shapes and spaces, such as Calabi-Yau manifolds. It also has applications in string theory and mirror symmetry.

How is a conifold different from other geometric shapes?

A conifold is a specific type of singularity, or point of divergence, in a geometric shape. It has unique properties that distinguish it from other types of singularities, such as nodes or cusps.

Can a conifold be observed or measured in real life?

No, a conifold is a theoretical concept and cannot be directly observed or measured in the physical world. It is a mathematical construct used to describe certain phenomena.

Are there any practical uses for understanding conifolds?

Yes, understanding conifolds has practical applications in fields such as physics, mathematics, and engineering. It can help in the development of new theories and models, as well as in solving complex problems in these fields.