Find EMF of a battery in this circuit

In summary, you stopped where you did in simplifying the circuit because you drew the two cases instead of simplifying it. To simplify the circuit in each case, you can work it down to numerical answers. The two batteries in parallel may be confusing, but you can find the unknown emf using KVL by drawing the circuit when the switch is open. Additionally, your calculation of 98.9 for the equivalent Resistance seems correct.
jdmaxwell02
Homework Statement
In the circuit below R=53.0 Ω and assume both batteries have zero internal resistance and the voltmeter and ammeter are ideal. When the switch is open the voltmeter displays 14.2 V.

Find the emf e m f of the unknown battery: ___ V

If the switch is closed what does the ammeter display? ____ A
Relevant Equations
EMF-Ir=IR?
1585098373348.png

Attachments

• thumbnail_Image.jpg
    thumbnail_Image.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 142
Physics news on Phys.org
why did you stop where you did in simplifying the circuit?

EDIT: oh, wait ... I see now. You didn't simplify the circuit at all, you drew the two cases.

Simplify the circuit in each case and you can work it down to numerical answers.

phinds said:
why did you stop where you did in simplifying the circuit?

EDIT: oh, wait ... I see now. You didn't simplify the circuit at all, you drew the two cases.

Simplify the circuit in each case and you can work it down to numerical answers.

The two batteries in parallel are kinda confusing me. How would I simplify that? Also, I got 98.9 for the equivalent Resistance. Does that seem correct?

jdmaxwell02 said:
The two batteries in parallel are kinda confusing me. How would I simplify that?
First, draw the circuit when the switch is open. With that information, can you find the unknown emf using KVL?

Last edited:

Related to Find EMF of a battery in this circuit

1. What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromotive force, which is the energy per unit charge that is supplied by a source, such as a battery, to move a charge around a complete circuit.

2. Why is it important to find the EMF of a battery in a circuit?

Finding the EMF of a battery in a circuit is important because it allows us to understand the potential difference that the battery can provide to the circuit. This helps us determine the voltage and current in the circuit, which are important parameters for designing and analyzing electronic circuits.

3. How do you find the EMF of a battery in a circuit?

The EMF of a battery in a circuit can be found by using a voltmeter to measure the potential difference between the positive and negative terminals of the battery. This measurement represents the EMF of the battery.

4. Can the EMF of a battery change in a circuit?

Yes, the EMF of a battery can change in a circuit. This can happen due to factors such as the internal resistance of the battery, the temperature, and the load connected to the circuit. These factors can affect the voltage and current in the circuit, which in turn can change the EMF of the battery.

5. How does the EMF of a battery affect the performance of a circuit?

The EMF of a battery affects the performance of a circuit by providing the necessary potential difference for the flow of current. A higher EMF can result in a higher voltage and current in the circuit, which can improve the performance of electronic components. However, a lower EMF can lead to a decrease in voltage and current, which can affect the functionality of the circuit.