Find electric Field at a point A

In summary, the conversation is about the calculation of electric field values using equations and vectors. The question is regarding the discrepancy between the calculated value and the given answer. The mistake is identified and the correct calculation is provided. It is also explained that for other questions, the same steps should be followed to calculate the electric field magnitude.
FJay
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
EF_zpstnbig8yt.png

Hi Guys,
I've been learning electric field, and i want to ask about this question.EF net = EF1 + EF2

my EF1 = 9 x 109 * 4 x 10-8 / (0.6)2 = 1 x 103 (From Q1)
EF2 = 9 x 109 * 2 x 10-8 / (0.3)2 = 2 x 103 (From Q2)

then EFnet = (2+1) x 103 = 3 x 103

and what i get from key answer is 2.2 x 103

and anyone can tell me what i miss ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The electric field is a vector quantity. What is its (vector) value at A?

DrClaude said:
The electric field is a vector quantity. What is its (vector) value at A?

EF1_zpsjbw15xo9.png

Enet = (E12 + E22)1/2

Enet = 2.23 x 103

do you mean like that bro ? anything wrong from my answer ?

then for another question like this( at different point), just do this step ?

FJay said:
Enet = (E1E22 + E22)1/2

Enet = 2.23 x 103
There is a typo in the first equation, but otherwise this is correct.

FJay said:
then for another question like this( at different point), just do this step ?
Yes. You first calculate the electric field itself, as a vector, and then calculate the magnitude of the vector to get the magnitude of the field.

DrClaude said:
Yes. You first calculate the electric field itself, as a vector, and then calculate the magnitude of the vector to get the magnitude of the field.
Thank you for your help.

Related to Find electric Field at a point A

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical force field created by electrically charged objects. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and can be represented by arrows pointing in the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience if placed in that field.

2. How do you find the electric field at a point A?

The electric field at a point A can be found by calculating the force per unit charge at that point. This can be done by using the formula E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the test charge. Alternatively, the electric field can also be found by using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the point charge creating the field, and r is the distance from the point charge to the point A.

3. What factors affect the electric field at a point A?

The factors that affect the electric field at a point A include the magnitude and direction of the point charge creating the field, the distance from the point charge to the point A, and the presence of any other charges or objects in the vicinity that may cause interference.

4. How is the electric field represented graphically?

The electric field is represented graphically by using electric field lines. These lines indicate the direction and strength of the electric field at various points in space. The closer the lines are to each other, the stronger the electric field is at that point.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the electric field at a point A?

There are many real-world applications of finding the electric field at a point A. Some examples include determining the strength of the electric field around power lines or electrical equipment, calculating the force on charged particles in an electric field, and understanding the behavior of charges in electronic devices such as computers and smartphones. It is also important in the study of electromagnetism and in the design of electrical circuits.