Find distance when slipping down the roof of a sky dome stadium

In summary, Mike Harris will slide for a distance of 105 meters, measured along the curve of the circular roof, before falling off while pitching the opening ball for the Blue Jays game at the Sky Dome stadium. This can be calculated using the formula angle (in rad) x radius = arc length, with an angle of 48 degrees and a radius of 125 meters.
totallyclone

Homework Statement

Mike Harris stands at the very top of the sky dome stadium roof to pitch the opening ball for the Blue Jays game. He slips a bit left of centre and slides down along the frictionless roof surface. For what distance, measured along the curve, will he slide before leaving the roof? Assume the roof has a circular cross section of radius 125m.

Homework Equations

FUN=ma
ETi=ETf
a=(mv2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I think, at the point before Mike Harris falls off the roof, FN=0
So I wonder if this question would involve centripetal forces because the roof is shaped like a circle.

I have attached my diagram and here's how I decided to tackle the question.

FUN=ma
Fg[itex]\bot[/itex]-FN=(mv2)/r
mgcosθ-0=[m(2gr(1-cosθ))]/r
cosθ=2(1-cosθ)
cosθ=2-2cosθ
cosθ=2/3
θ=48°

I found the angle, don't quite know how to proceed

Attachments

• Physics-4.png
    Physics-4.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 486
  • physics-41.png
    physics-41.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct for the angle and can use

angle (in rad) = arc length / radius

mukundpa said:
You are correct for the angle and can use

angle (in rad) = arc length / radius

OOH, so the distance the question is called the arc length? Didn't know that!

So, if I used that formula:

angle (in rad) x radius = arc length
arc length = (48 x ∏/180) x 125
arc length = 105m

So the total distance Mike Harris travels on the sky dome rooftop is 105m? :smile:

Related to Find distance when slipping down the roof of a sky dome stadium

1. How do you calculate the distance when slipping down the roof of a sky dome stadium?

The distance can be calculated using the formula d = (1/2)gt^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time it takes to slide down the roof.

2. Is the distance affected by the angle of the roof?

Yes, the steeper the angle of the roof, the shorter the distance traveled. This is because the steeper angle increases the slope of the roof, resulting in a faster descent and shorter time for the object to reach the ground.

3. How does the mass of the object affect the distance when slipping down the roof?

The mass of the object does not affect the distance traveled when slipping down the roof. This is because the formula for distance only takes into account the acceleration due to gravity and the time it takes to slide down, both of which are independent of the mass of the object.

4. Can you use the same formula to calculate the distance for any sky dome stadium?

Yes, you can use the same formula for any sky dome stadium as long as the acceleration due to gravity and the time it takes to slide down remain constant. However, the angle of the roof and the height of the stadium will affect the exact distance traveled.

5. How accurate is the distance calculated using this formula?

The distance calculated using this formula is an approximation and may not be completely accurate in real-world situations. Factors such as air resistance, friction, and the shape of the object can affect the actual distance traveled. Additionally, the formula assumes a constant acceleration, which may not always be the case when sliding down a roof.