Find de Broglie Wavelength of 7.0 eV Electron

In summary, Dick was trying to solve for the de Broglie wavelength of a 7.0 eV electron and was confused because he didn't understand how the work function could just be set to equal the kinetic energy. He got the right answer but didn't understand how it happened.
Dart82

Homework Statement

Find the de Broglie wavelength of a 7.0 eV electron.

Homework Equations

de Broglie wavelength = h/p = h/(mv)
Photoelectric effect equation (not 100% sure)

The Attempt at a Solution

i need to solve for v in de Broglie's equation so i can find the wavelength. i know the mass of the electron is 9.11x10^-31kg, i know that h is Plancks constant, and i know that the work function = 7.0 x (1.602x10^-19 J) BUT how can i find v?

I tried to find v by using the photoelectric effect equation but i didnt get a correct answer:
hf = KE + Work function...BUT how can i solve for v if i don't have the frequency!?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The energy of the electron is just given by E=(1/2)*m*v^2 (no need for relativity here). Does that help?

Dick -
i wish i could tell you that it makes perfect sense now, but I'm still a bit confused here. When you say no relativity what exactly does that mean?

I mean the energy is low enough that the speed of the electron is much less than that of light. So I can use the nonrelativistic formula KE=(1/2)*m*v^2. Sorry to hear you are still confused, but why not just set 7eV equal to (1/2)*m*v^2 to find v?

Dick said:
Sorry to hear you are still confused, but why not just set 7eV equal to (1/2)*m*v^2 to find v?
well...i guess because i don't understand how the work function can just be set to equal the kinetic energy. how is it that the hf can just be dropped from the photoelectric equation? I sure do wish my teacher would have spent some more time on this stuff - it seems like he just left out half the info we need to complete this assignment.

Ok, i got the right answer but i only understand about 90% of what i did to get it. According the Photo. effect:
h*f - W = KE ...so then h*f - W = (1/2)mv^2
I guess my only question is where did the h and f disappear to?

Why do you think this is a photoelectric effect problem? There is no 'work function'. It's just a de Broglie wavelength problem.

Dart82 said:
Ok, i got the right answer but i only understand about 90% of what i did to get it. According the Photo. effect:
h*f - W = KE ...so then h*f - W = (1/2)mv^2
I guess my only question is where did the h and f disappear to?

There's no h*f in the problem either.

ok i see what you are saying. i guess because the only other place i have seen the eV is in the photoelectric effect problems. i have read my notes and the section in my book concerning the de Broglie Wavelength (which there were no examples problems given). consequently, i am having a tough time figuring out how to work them. The way i understand it P=mv, where v is the speed. i know KE = (1/2)mv^2. So in this instance KE = 7eV?

Yes. In this case eV is just a unit of energy. I thought you were going to take a break.

yes i am right now...

Me too...

Related to Find de Broglie Wavelength of 7.0 eV Electron

1. What is the formula for finding the de Broglie wavelength of an electron with an energy of 7.0 eV?

The formula for finding the de Broglie wavelength of an electron is λ = h / √(2mE), where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, and E is the energy of the electron in electron volts (eV).

2. How do I convert electron volts (eV) to joules (J) for use in the de Broglie wavelength formula?

To convert from electron volts to joules, you can use the conversion factor 1 eV = 1.602 x 10^-19 J. Simply multiply the energy in eV by this conversion factor to get the energy in joules.

3. Can the de Broglie wavelength of an electron be calculated using its speed instead of its energy?

Yes, the de Broglie wavelength can also be calculated using an electron's speed. The formula for this is λ = h / mV, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the electron, and V is the velocity of the electron.

4. What is the significance of the de Broglie wavelength in quantum mechanics?

The de Broglie wavelength is significant in quantum mechanics because it relates the wave-like nature of particles, such as electrons, to their momentum and energy. It also helps to explain phenomena such as electron diffraction and wave-particle duality.

5. Can the de Broglie wavelength of an electron be observed experimentally?

Yes, the de Broglie wavelength of an electron can be observed experimentally using techniques such as electron diffraction or electron microscopy. These experiments demonstrate the wave-like behavior of electrons and provide evidence for the de Broglie wavelength concept.