Find Current I: 2 R & V Short Circuit

In summary: No, theres no mistake.Looking back at post #12, there are 5 resistors in parallel. Right ?Otherwise, this is correct.
Gbox

Homework Statement

All resistors have resistance of R and all voltage sources have voltage of V, Find the current I
X9tSzJT.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At the leftmost corner I can connect the two resistors in parallel, but what should I do with the short on the top right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would do this one voltage source at a time - and then add the results up.
You have three resistors in parallel at the top left and two in parallel at the top right.

What does it mean each "voltage source at a time"?

in the top left I can see just 2 resistor in parallel and so in the right:
KqJFmN3.jpg

or even...

redraw.jpg

Just remove the short-cicuited resistors(series resistors). No current flow through them.

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
Just remove the short-cicuited resistors(series resistors). No current flow through them.
Why can I remove it? there is current there, here is what I got:
qejyYRu.jpg

There is no potential difference between both end of the conductor, thus no current flow across resistors parallel to it. Likewise no current flow up to the middle of the shorted resistors since no potential difference between them. If you say X volt on the right side, it will the same at the middle, which in turn equal to the right side of the lower resistor.
If you have a conductor carrying current, will there any difference to the circuit if you touch both ends of resistor to it.
It will be helpful if you could name all the resistors.

Last edited:
From the current point of view (the arrows I added) this is what you mean? therefore where there is no current I can remove those resistors?
VQ9aLM2.jpg

azizlwl said:
Are there any short-circuited resistors?
Numbering the resistors from 1, top to bottom, left to right within a horizontal: 3 , 4 and 5 are in parallel, but not short-circuited. Likewise 1 and 2. See CWatters' diagram.

Gbox said:
From the current point of view (the arrows I added) this is what you mean? therefore where there is no current I can remove those resistors?
VQ9aLM2.jpg
One correction. There is current flow in the lower right resistor.

Likes Gbox
haruspex said:
Are there any short-circuited resistors?
Numbering the resistors from 1, top to bottom, left to right within a horizontal: 3 , 4 and 5 are in parallel, but not short-circuited. Likewise 1 and 2. See CWatters' diagram.
So my diagram after azizlwl comment is ok?

Color or otherwise identify the relevant nodes in your circuit to begin with. Any components that connect to the same two nodes (colors) must be in parallel.

Fig1.png

There's a parallel bonanza there!

Likes azizlwl
gneill said:
Color or otherwise identify the relevant nodes in your circuit to begin with. Any components that connect to the same two nodes (colors) must be in parallel.

View attachment 92415

I think the color between the resistors should be red too, no current flow thus no p.d.

gneill said:

View attachment 92415

So which equivalent diagram is right this:
rclsmjt.jpg

or this (although I am not sure as I removed short circuit cords):

vahBiJZ.jpg

I'm not liking either of them.

If you look at the colored diagram that I posted, all of horizontal resistors connect to the same pair of colors. That is, they all connect to the same two nodes. That is, they are ALL in parallel. So erase all but one and label it with the correct resistor value. Personally I'd choose to keep the one at the bottom right, just to clean up the diagram.

Likes Gbox
azizlwl said:
I think the color between the resistors should be red too, no current flow thus no p.d.
@azizlwl

There is current flow through each and every resistor in this circuit.

Your attempts at being helpful are not really helping.

(gneill has this covered very well..)

Likes Gbox and azizlwl
I came to this ##I=\frac{21V}{2R}##
pXELuJ3.jpg

q0miIhP.jpg

Likes Gbox
SammyS said:
Looking back at post #12, there are 5 resistors in parallel. Right ?

Otherwise, this is correct.
Yes it should be 5, Thanks!

Gbox said:
Yes it should be 5, Thanks!
By the way, even though the R/4 isn't correct, you should know that ##\displaystyle \ \frac{R}{3}+ \frac{R}{4}\neq \frac{R}{7}\ ##.

SammyS said:
By the way, even though the R/4 isn't correct, you should know that ##\displaystyle \ \frac{R}{3}+ \frac{R}{4}\neq \frac{R}{7}\ ##.
I have wrote this?

Gbox said:
I have wrote this?
Maybe not explicitly, but you have R/3 and R/4 in series with a result of R/7 .

Ahh so it a mistake, I connected them in parallel

It's always best to simplify the circuit step by step. Take all the resistors in series and add them together and label it as one resistor. Then worry about the ones in parellel and use the inverse for each of them.

Related to Find Current I: 2 R & V Short Circuit

1. What is current (I) in an electrical circuit?

Current (I) is a measure of the rate at which electric charge flows through a circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol I.

2. How do you calculate current (I) in a circuit?

To calculate current (I) in a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that I = V/R, where V is the voltage and R is the resistance. In other words, current is equal to the voltage divided by the resistance.

3. What is the relationship between current (I), resistance (R), and voltage (V) in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, there is a direct relationship between current (I) and voltage (V), and an inverse relationship between current (I) and resistance (R). This means that as voltage increases, current increases, and as resistance increases, current decreases.

4. What is a short circuit and how does it affect current (I) in a circuit?

A short circuit occurs when there is a low resistance path in a circuit, causing a large amount of current to flow through it. This can be dangerous and can potentially damage the circuit or cause a fire. In a short circuit, the current (I) will be very high due to the low resistance.

5. How do you find current (I) in a short circuit?

In a short circuit, the current (I) is determined by the voltage (V) and the resistance (R) of the short circuit path. Using Ohm's Law, you can calculate the current by dividing the voltage by the resistance of the short circuit path.