Find coefficient of kinetic friction between a bullet and a pendulum

In summary, the bullet and block swing out to an angle of 10 degrees and the coefficient of kinetic friction is .
jreelawg

Homework Statement

A bullet collides and embeds itself into a block hanging from a rope. The block and embedded bullet swing out to an angle of 10 degrees.

If the bullet plows 2 cm into the block before stopping, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the bullet?

bullet has mass of .1 kg
block on pendulum of length 1 m has mass of 5 kg

Homework Equations

momentum conservation, energy conservation, Newtons laws

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the initial velocity of the bullet, 273.386 m/s^2, using momentum and energy conservation.

Thought maybe I could use, vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ax, which I guess tells me that the bullet after collision had an acceleration in the x direction of -1,868,500 m/s^2 with respect to the frame of reference of the pendulum+embedded bullet.

I thought maybe I would then use F=ma.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your on the right track.
Would'nt it just be from where you left off:
Ffriction = ma
Ff = ma
UN = ma
Umg = ma
U = ma/mg
U = a/g
Also make sure to take the 10 degree into consideration and i think your good then.

jreelawg said:
I found the initial velocity of the bullet, 273.386 m/s^2, using momentum and energy conservation.
Wrong units - should be m/s. And I get rather less than 273m/s. Please show your working to this point.

haruspex said:
Wrong units - should be m/s. And I get rather less than 273m/s. Please show your working to this point.

I accidentally used .01 instead of .1 for mass of bullet in my calculation.

Here is what I have. I'm especially unsure about the validity of the last part.

v1 = velocity immediately after collision
v0 = initial velocity of bullet
mp = mass of pendulum = 5 kg
mb = mass of bullet = 0.1 kg
y = delta Y = 1 - cos(10 degrees)

momentum conservation:

mb*V0 = (mb + mp)*v1
v0 = (mb + mp)(v1)/mb

energy conservation of swing:

1/2(mb + mp)*v1^2 = (mp + mb)*yg
v1 = (2yg)^(1/2)

=> v0 = (mb + mp) (2yg)^(1/2) / mb
=((.1 + 5) (2*(1-cos(10))*9.8)^(1/2) )/0.1

= 27.8297 m/s

Acceleration of bullet after collision:

0 = 27.8297^2 + 2*a*(0.02)
a = -(27.8297^2) / 0.04)
= -19326.3 m/s^2

Force:

Fnet on bullet = Fk = -9.8 * 0.1 * Uk = -19326.3 * 0.1

Uk = 1972.07

My thoughts:

I don't think the last part is right. I would think that the main "normal" force affecting the friction would be the block squeezing the bullet as it embeds itself into the block. The coefficient of kinetic friction I would think would be a constant determined by the two materials. But this problem doesn't lend any information about either the force which would squeeze the bullet or specific materials.

Last edited:
Could this be solved using the work kinetic energy theorem?

So kinetic energy is lost to thermal energy.

1/2(mb)V0^2 - 1/2(mb + mp)V1^2 = Eth ?
= 37.9634 J = fk (.02) = n * Uk
uk = (37.9634/.02)/n = 1898.17/n

So is n really just the (mb)g?

jreelawg said:
= 27.8297 m/s
Agreed. (Though this is making the simplifying assumption that the bullet comes to rest so quickly within the block that most of the swing is with the bullet and block moving as one. Tricky question otherwise.)
I don't think the last part is right. I would think that the main "normal" force affecting the friction would be the block squeezing the bullet as it embeds itself into the block. The coefficient of kinetic friction I would think would be a constant determined by the two materials. But this problem doesn't lend any information about either the force which would squeeze the bullet or specific materials.
Again, I agree. You can calculate the retardant force on the bullet, but that still doesn't tell you the coefficient of friction.

haruspex said:
Agreed. (Though this is making the simplifying assumption that the bullet comes to rest so quickly within the block that most of the swing is with the bullet and block moving as one. Tricky question otherwise.)

Again, I agree. You can calculate the retardant force on the bullet, but that still doesn't tell you the coefficient of friction.

Ok. Thanks haruspex. I guess I'll put this problem to rest for now.

Related to Find coefficient of kinetic friction between a bullet and a pendulum

1. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact when one surface is in motion. It is usually denoted by the symbol μ and is a unitless value.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction determined?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be determined by conducting an experiment where the force required to keep an object in motion on a surface is measured and compared to the weight of the object. The ratio of these two values gives the coefficient of kinetic friction.

3. Why is it important to find the coefficient of kinetic friction between a bullet and a pendulum?

Finding the coefficient of kinetic friction between a bullet and a pendulum can help in understanding the forces involved in the collision between the two objects. It can also provide valuable information for designing safety measures and improving the accuracy of ballistic calculations.

4. What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by factors such as the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the applied force. It also varies with the speed at which the object is moving.

5. Can the coefficient of kinetic friction change?

Yes, the coefficient of kinetic friction can change depending on various factors such as the surface conditions, temperature, and the presence of lubricants. It is important to conduct experiments under controlled conditions to ensure accurate measurements of the coefficient of kinetic friction.