Find Coefficient of Friction for Mass M between 2 Springs

In summary, the problem involves a block of mass 1.5 kg sliding between two springs with spring constants of 30 N/m and 57 N/m. The block is initially released from rest with the left spring compressed by 0.7 m and the distance between the relaxed springs being 2.8 m. When the block hits the right spring, it compresses it by 0.4 m. The goal is to find the coefficient of sliding friction between the block and the surface. Using the equations for spring force and work energy theorem, the net force of 2.97 Nm is calculated. This is caused by the work done by friction over the 2.8 m interval. Solving for the force of
Awwnutz
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9219/blockandspringsup8.gif

A block of mass M = 1.5 kg slides between two springs, of spring constant kleft = 30 N/m and kright = 57 N/m. The distance between the relaxed springs is d = 2.8 m. The left spring is initially compressed a maximum of dleft = 0.7 m, and the block is released from rest. The first time the block hits the right spring, it compresses it a distance dright = 0.4 m Find the coefficient of sliding friction between the block and the surface.

Relevant equations:
Spring force: (1/2)mv^2
Work Energy Theorem: Change in Kinetic Energy = Work done on block

I haven't gotten too far on this one. I know i probably need to find the force of the spring on the left and how fast the block moves. Then use that velocity and the work done by the other spring to find the friction. Or something along those lines? Is this close? (Probably not)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out...

I had to do:
work done by friction = Change in potential energy

I have the same exact problem but I can't figure it out.

I used the equation (( W = 1/2 * kx^2 )) for both springs to get a net force of Wleft - Wright = 2.97 Nm.

In my understanding, this change in W caused by the work done by friction over the 2.8 m interval, so i solved W = F*d to get F = 0.9964 N.
((2.97 = F * 2.8))

0.9964 would be the force of friction, so i used the equations F = M*N and N = mg to solve for the friction constant (M).

The answer I came up with was 0.0667, but this is not right.

Please help.

Related to Find Coefficient of Friction for Mass M between 2 Springs

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless quantity that measures the level of resistance between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It indicates the force required to move one surface over the other.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the applied normal force between two surfaces. It can be determined through experiments or by using known values of force and normal force.

3. What is the significance of finding the coefficient of friction between two springs?

Finding the coefficient of friction between two springs is important because it helps in understanding the amount of frictional force that is acting against the movement of the springs. This information can be used in designing and predicting the behavior of spring-based systems.

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction between two springs?

The coefficient of friction between two springs can be affected by various factors such as the nature of the surfaces, the amount of force applied, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

5. How can the coefficient of friction between two springs be determined experimentally?

To determine the coefficient of friction between two springs experimentally, one can use a spring balance to measure the force needed to stretch the springs and a force meter to measure the normal force. The coefficient of friction can then be calculated using the formula mentioned in the answer to question 2.