Lifegazer Philosophy 101 (from Faith in Science)

I see no relevance to my statement.Originally posted by (Q) Lifegazer String-theory is especially relevant to meWow, I’ve never met anyone on a forum who understands the mathematics behind string theory. The closest I’ve come is attending one of Brian Greene’s lectures and meeting him afterwards.Could you explain what you know of string theory as best you can? Thanks. In summary, the conversation discusses the role of science in seeking material causes for all things. The topic of string theory is also brought up, with one participant stating that it requires faith to believe in the existence of an 11-dimensional tangible-reality. However, another participant argues that acceptance of string theory is based on knowledge, not faith
CJames: Quantum mechanics is based on 0 dimensional particles.

LG: See post to Tom. That suggestion is nonsensical - by reason.

No, not "by reason", it is "by LG's personal opinion". The universe is not subject to your a priori arguments. If such things exist, then it is the universe that will dictate it to us, not the other way around.

CJames: However, closer inspection of QM reveals that it's not as simple as that. The "0 dimensional particles" are extended into a probabisitic, multidimensional wavefunction.

LG: No they're not.

Oh, for crying out loud, yes they are! You really must stop spouting off about things you know nothing about.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Tom
CJames: However, closer inspection of QM reveals that it's not as simple as that. The "0 dimensional particles" are extended into a probabisitic, multidimensional wavefunction.

LG: No they're not.

Oh, for crying out loud, yes they are! [/B]
So very very LOL.

Lets move on, this is going nowhere and it's not even about Philosophy.