Find Chemistry/Biochemistry Articles for Analysis: Tips & Resources

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a scientifically published article related to chemistry or biochemistry that is at least 4 pages long. Various magazines and resources are recommended, including PubMed for biochemistry articles and Scientific American for a wide range of science topics. It is suggested to either access the full length article through links or the library, and to ask for assistance from a reference librarian if needed. The conversation also mentions the possibility of browsing through more magazines to find an article of interest.
Dooh
I have to write an analysis on an article (has to be scientifically published and related to chemistry or biochemistry) that is around at least 4 pages long. I've been surfing the web but i can't seem to find any. Can anyone recommend me some places where i can find them? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hit the magazine racks.

*Discover Magazine
*Scientific American
*Time (Last one I saw has an article on genetic codes as the cover story)

etc..

time magazine and discovery cannot be used. it has to be a stricly scientific journal. I don't have scientific american, nor new scientist. i checked their site, but they don't have an article with the adequate length.

When you say scientifically published, do you mean in a scientific journal? If so, you'll find biochemistry articles on PubMed. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed You search by topic, and a number of journals now have free online access to their articles. If you just mean on a science topic, then the references Tom Mattson recommended are good. I'd especially recommend Scientific American as it has a wide variety of subjects in it, so you should be able to find something of interest to you.

Edit: I see you posted a further reply while I was typing. I'm not sure where you can search for chemistry papers (if you go to a university library, you can browse through paper copies of current journals), but pubmed is an index that will have include all the biochemistry journals. If you need further help using it, just let us know.

Last edited:
thanks for the link. I've been searching through the site, but i am still unable to locate an article with the adequate length. I also had been browsing through scientific american at the library. It seems that they have articles with the required length, but i coudn't locate one that interests me. So i guess I'm goiing to have to browse through more magazines now.

Dooh said:
thanks for the link. I've been searching through the site, but i am still unable to locate an article with the adequate length. I also had been browsing through scientific american at the library. It seems that they have articles with the required length, but i coudn't locate one that interests me. So i guess I'm goiing to have to browse through more magazines now.

When you search on pubmed, all it will give you is the abstract, which is a brief summary of the paper. You'll need to either follow links to the publisher's website to get the full length article or go to the library to get it (if you aren't using a university library, you'll need to have your reference librarian help locate it through interlibrary loan). It would be unusual to find any papers shorter than 4 pages on that database, so you probably just need help getting to the full length article.

Did you see any articles that sounded interesting to you? I might be able to help you locate one if you suggest some topics or even specific ones of interest you saw that looked interesting.

Last edited:

Related to Find Chemistry/Biochemistry Articles for Analysis: Tips & Resources

1. What is the best way to search for chemistry/biochemistry articles?

The best way to search for chemistry/biochemistry articles is to use a combination of keywords and advanced search filters. Start by brainstorming relevant keywords and phrases related to your topic, then use these terms in conjunction with Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT) to refine your search. Additionally, most databases and search engines have advanced search features that allow you to specify criteria such as publication date, author, and journal title to further narrow down your results.

2. How do I know if an article is credible and appropriate for my analysis?

To determine the credibility and appropriateness of an article for your analysis, you should evaluate its source, methodology, and relevance to your research question. Look for articles published in reputable journals in the field of chemistry/biochemistry, and check the author's credentials and affiliations. Additionally, read the abstract and introduction to get an overview of the study's methodology and results, and assess the article's relevance to your research topic.

3. Are there any specific databases or search engines that are best for finding chemistry/biochemistry articles?

There are several databases and search engines that are specifically designed for chemistry/biochemistry research, such as PubMed, Scopus, and Web of Science. These databases have comprehensive coverage of articles in this field and offer advanced search features to help you find relevant articles for your analysis.

4. How do I access full-text articles for analysis?

To access full-text articles for analysis, you can either search for them directly in databases that offer full-text access or use your institution's library resources. Many universities and research institutions have subscriptions to a wide range of journals and databases, which can be accessed through the library website using your login credentials.

5. Can I use articles from open access journals for my analysis?

Yes, you can use articles from open access journals for your analysis. Open access journals make their articles freely available to the public, and they often have rigorous peer-review processes to ensure the quality and credibility of their articles. However, it is important to carefully evaluate the source and methodology of any article, whether from an open access or subscription-based journal, to ensure its suitability for your analysis.