Find Centroid of y=x^2: Homework Help

• Thread starter ghost_301
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centroid
In summary, Metz114 struggled with understanding the centroid topic in statics and asked for help. He found the Y centroid by integrating y*x*dy from 0-16 and dividing that by the integral of x*dy from 0-16, but he still found the X centroid to be 3.
ghost_301

Homework Statement

Just studying statics in my first year of university and i do not understand the centroid topic at all. The question goes like this, given a equation y=x^2 , and the x-axis is 0 - 4 , with the lower portion of the graph is highlighted. It is given by diagram but sorry I don't have scanner so can't provide the diagram, but i think the info i gave is enough to illustrate that simple graph. The question ask to find the centroid of it.

Homework Equations

The equations i know that i have to use is X-dash and y-dash formula. x-dash formula is (let assume | is integration) "|xdA within 0-4 divided by |dA, (A=|ydx)" and
"|ydA within 0-16 divided by |dA, (A=|xdy)".

The Attempt at a Solution

I go through all the equations and I found X-dash is 3 which I think is correct, but my y-dash is 9.6, which is doubled of the answer provided to me, 4.8... I don't understand what's wrong with my calculation ?

p/s : I asked my lecturer and he said the |ydA shud be |(y/2)dA , but why ? Please do help me because my exam is coming and I still dun understand this small parts of statics. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've no idea what your formulae mean, but you get the centroid x coord by integrating x*y*dx from 0-4 and dividing that by the integral of y*dx from 0-4.

The rotate the axes and repeat for y.

For the Y centroid

Hey Mentz114, thanks for the help, the formulae u provided helped me to find the x-centroid, which is 3, but i still find the y centroid to be 9.6. Isn't that the formula to find y centroid is integrating y*x*dy from 0-16 and dividing that by the integral of x*dy from 0-16 ?

I got the x centroid to be 8/3, but I could be wrong.

To do y, keep the same vars, but invert the function so

y = sqrt(x)

Should you be taking the square root of 9.6 ?

I found the X centroid to be 3 if using my own formula and yours.
You said "integrating x*y*dx from 0-4 and dividing that by the integral of y*dx from 0-4" to find x-centroid right ?

So |x*y*dx will turned into |x^3dx since y=x^2 , hence i got 64 after integration.

Then |y*dx will turned into |x^2dx since y=x^2 as well, hence I got 21.333 after integration.

So |x*y*dx divide by |y*dx = 64/21.3333 = 3 ( X-Centroid)

You said to keep the same variants, means use 0-4 ? But the function is inverted, shouldn't be using 0-16 ? since y=x^2 , and shouldn't be x=sqrt(y) ?

The integral of x^3dx is (x^4)/4 and the integral of x^2dx is (x^3)/3.

As I said, my answer could be wrong.

I think you've got the hang of it so I'll leave you to it.

Try to understand why the formulae are correct.

Hmm , I can understand for X centroid , but how about Y centroid ? Could you may be write the formula for me to find Y centroid ? As I still haven't found the Y centroid yet ... not the correct one at least ...

I get 9.6 !

[tex]\int_0^{16} x^{\frac{3}{2}} dx[/tex]

divided by

[tex]\int_0^{16} x^{\frac{1}{2}} dx[/tex]

I got 9.6 as well, but my lecturer's answer is 4.8 which is half of it ... that's make me confusing ... :confused:

Metz114 is finding the Y centroid of the wrong area.

Draw a picture. The "width" of the area is that you are integrating over is [tex]4-y^{1/2}[/tex], not [tex]y^{1/2}[/tex].

So the integral you need to evaluate is [tex]\int_0^{16} y(4-y^{1/2})dy[/tex]

The fact that you get twice the right answer is a conincidence.

There we are - corrected.
I imagined the shape wrongly. Thank you, AlephZero

Last edited:
Ok, finally got the answer, but still forgive for my noob-ness, why when find the y-centroid, the integrating have to be https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/13/1308807-2.png ? Why the x had become 4-y^(1/2) ? Sorry but anyway, thanks for all the helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a picture to show what's going on when you evaluate the two integrals.

Attachments

• centroid.gif
    centroid.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 466
huh ? It seems like the atcachment is waiting for approval ... Why need to have approval to show attachment ? Or may be Alephzero is kind enough to send me the link of that gif file ? Thanks ...

Related to Find Centroid of y=x^2: Homework Help

1. What is a centroid?

A centroid is the geometric center or average position of all the points in a given shape. It is often used to represent the overall location or balance point of a shape.

2. How do I find the centroid of y=x^2?

To find the centroid of y=x^2, you will need to use the formula for the centroid of a continuous function, which is x̄ = (1/A) ∫x*f(x) dx, where A is the area under the curve and f(x) is the function. In this case, the area under the curve is the integral of y=x^2 from 0 to some value of x. Once you have the value of x̄, you can find the y-coordinate of the centroid by plugging it back into the original function.

3. What is the difference between centroid and center of mass?

While the centroid and the center of mass are often used interchangeably, there is a slight difference between the two. The centroid is the average position of all the points in a shape, while the center of mass is the point where the total mass of the object is considered to be concentrated. In other words, the center of mass takes into account the mass of each point, while the centroid does not.

4. Why is finding the centroid important?

Finding the centroid is important in various fields, including engineering, physics, and mathematics. It is used to determine the overall location and balance point of a shape, which can be important in designing structures, analyzing forces, and solving equations.

5. Are there any shortcuts for finding the centroid of a function?

Yes, there are a few shortcuts that can be used to find the centroid of a function. One method is to use symmetry, if present, to determine the location of the centroid. Another method is to use the properties of the function, such as the mean value theorem, to find the centroid without having to calculate the integral. However, these methods may not always be applicable and the general formula should be used for more accurate results.