Find Center of Circle in Parabola y=x^2

In summary, the conversation is about finding the center of a circle with a radius of 1 that is inscribed in the parabola y=x^2. One person provides an example of finding the point where a unit circle is tangent to the x-axis, and explains how this can be extended to the given question. The other person expresses confusion and asks for further clarification.
suspenc3
Hi I am stuck on the following:

Find the centre of a circle with a radius of 1 inscribed in the parabola [tex]y=x^2[/tex].

I am kinda stuck

http://img115.imageshack.us/my.php?image=csacacfu8.png
the white line is length=1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll do a much simpler example and see if it helps you. Imagine you want to find the point where a unit circle centered at some point on the y-axis is tangent to the x-axis. Clearly we want the center at (0,1) or (0,-1). But another way to find this is to look at where a unit circle centered at (0,h) intersects the line y=0. This is found as the set of simultaneous solutions to:

[tex](y-h)^2+x^2=1[/tex]
[tex]y=0[/tex]

which is just the set of solutions to:

[tex] x^2+h^2=0[/tex]

If |h|>1, there are no solutions (which reflects the fact that the circle doesn't touch the x-axis), if |h|<1, there are two solutions (the circle straddles rhe x-axis and intersects it in two points), and if h=1 or h=-1, there is one solution, where the circle is tangent, which is just what we expected. Can you figure out how to extend this to your question?

errr..im still confused, although I do understand what youve done I don't know how to apply it.

Related to Find Center of Circle in Parabola y=x^2

1. What is the center of a circle in a parabola?

The center of a circle in a parabola is the point where the parabola intersects its axis of symmetry. It is also the point where the distance from any point on the parabola to the center is equal.

2. How do you find the center of a circle in a parabola?

To find the center of a circle in a parabola, you can use the formula (h, k) where h is the x-coordinate of the vertex and k is the y-coordinate of the vertex. Alternatively, you can also use the formula (x, y) where x = h and y = k + 1/4a, where a is the coefficient of x^2.

3. Can you have a circle within a parabola?

Yes, it is possible to have a circle within a parabola. This occurs when the vertex of the parabola is also the center of the circle.

4. What is the relationship between a circle and a parabola?

A circle and a parabola are both types of conic sections, meaning they are created by intersecting a plane with a cone. However, a circle is defined by a fixed distance from its center, while a parabola is defined by a fixed distance from a line (its directrix) and a fixed point (its focus).

5. Can you find the center of a circle in a parabola using a graphing calculator?

Yes, most graphing calculators have a feature that allows you to graph a parabola and find its vertex, which can then be used as the center of the circle. Alternatively, you can also use the trace function to find the coordinates of points on the parabola and calculate the vertex manually.