Mystery of Blue Eyes in My Family

In summary, the conversation discusses the genetics behind eye color and how it is determined by multiple genes. It also mentions the possibility of changing one's skin tone artificially, but notes that it is not currently possible without potential side effects. The conversation ends with a question about whether the same principles apply to different races and populations.
Adam
A question for Monique and anyone else who knows this material...

Everyone born into my family has blue or grey eyes. Even when my mother's sister married a brown-eyed man, their children had blue eyes. Every single person born into our family has eyes of some shade of blue.

Now, I don't know anything about how dominant and recessive genes work, but aren't the brown eyes supposed to pop up more often?

Biology news on Phys.org
It will depend on the gene distribution. As you said there is more blue in family. So the chance of having two blue ressives is more likely then having a brown dominant with a blue recessive. The brown-eye person that married you mother sister probably carries a blue eye gene. Also eye colour is not one gene one colour as in peas, it is 2 gene, 1 colour.

In our family we got the oppposite. My cousin is half french-canadian and armenian, he has dark eye and hair, and his girlfriend is Canadian with ligth dark eye and hair. They got a girl that has blue eyes and blond hair.

Last edited:
Originally posted by iansmith
Also eye colour is one gene one colour as in peas, it is 2 gene, 1 colour.

I think you left out a "not" between "is" and "one". From the context, an error of typography, not knowledge.

BTW, I have green eyes.

Njorl

Actually, blue eyes are caused by the decreased functioning of a tyrosine transporter, right? Less tyrosine transportion causes less pigmentation production, and blue eyes. That is why brown eyes is dominant, one fully functional gene is able to transport enough tyrosine.

The enzyme phenylalanine hydroxylase (the deficiency causes PKU) might also be involved in colouration: affected people frequently have a light complexion, blond hair and blue eyes.

Monique,
That means I can also use the ways you explain about blue eyes, complexion etc for different races, different people in Europe,Asia, America?

Thanks a lot,

Regards,

Eluta

By the way, if someone wants to be as white as a 'real' blond guy, he/she can do something to change his 'properties' ? Is that possible ?
My questions would sound like a dumb but I am so sorry because I am not in biology, I don't know about these much...

Thanks again

Originally posted by Eluta_00
Monique,
That means I can also use the ways you explain about blue eyes, complexion etc for different races, different people in Europe,Asia, America?
Well, there are a number of genes that play a role. I guess the impact of those genes are different in those populations. But I am not sure if we really know all the genes that play a role in colorations?

By the way, if someone wants to be as white as a 'real' blond guy, he/she can do something to change his 'properties' ? Is that possible ? [/B]
Good question, I don't think that is really possible at the moment. There ARE things that can do that at the moment, but those are toxic and thus have side effects.

I know of some clinically oriented research that is going on right now, where researchers are trying to develop topical cremes which can modulate the skin tone. Think for instance about people who have facial discolourations, which happens during pregnancy.

Thanks a lot, :)

Regards,
Eluta

1. What causes blue eyes to appear in a family with no prior history of them?

The genetics of eye color is complex and can involve multiple genes. While it is rare for a child to have blue eyes if neither parent does, it is possible for a recessive gene for blue eyes to be passed down from distant relatives, even if there is no known family history of blue eyes.

2. Can blue eyes skip a generation?

Yes, it is possible for blue eyes to skip a generation. As mentioned, the genetics of eye color can be complex and involve multiple genes, so it is possible for the gene for blue eyes to be passed down from a grandparent to a grandchild without being expressed in the intermediate generation.

3. Are blue eyes more common in certain ethnicities?

Yes, blue eyes are more common in certain ethnicities, particularly those of European descent. This is because the gene for blue eyes is more prevalent in these populations and has been passed down through generations.

4. Can someone with blue eyes have a child with brown eyes?

Yes, it is possible for someone with blue eyes to have a child with brown eyes. This is because the gene for blue eyes is recessive, meaning it can be masked by the dominant gene for brown eyes. If both parents carry the recessive gene for blue eyes, there is a chance their child may have blue eyes.

5. Are there any health implications associated with having blue eyes?

No, there are no known health implications associated with having blue eyes. Eye color is determined by genetics and does not affect a person's overall health or well-being.