Find Area of flattened gold with limited info.

• Thread starter Kaleb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Gold
In summary, gold, with a density of 19.32 g/cm3, is the most ductile metal and can be pressed into a thin leaf with a mass of 1.708 g and a thickness of 6.811 μm. To find the area of the leaf, we first solve for volume using the equation V = M/D and then use the formula V = L x W x H(thickness) to find the area in cm^2. Converting to meters^2 gives us an answer of 1.29e-3m^2. However, the conversion for micrometers to centimeters was incorrect, resulting in an incorrect answer. The correct conversion is 1 um = 10^-4
Kaleb

Homework Statement

Gold, which has a density of 19.32 g/cm3, is the most ductile metal and can be pressed into a thin leaf or drawn out into a long fiber. (a) If a sample of gold with a mass of 1.708 g, is pressed into a leaf of 6.811 μm thickness, what is the area (in m2) of the leaf? (b) If, instead, the gold is drawn out into a cylindrical fiber of radius 2.100 μm, what is the length (in m) of the fiber?

Homework Equations

D = M/V
V = LxWxH(thickness)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have been working on this for quite a while now. Here is my attempt:

I first solved D=M/V for V: V=M/D

Then I plugged 1.708g/19.32g/cm^3 to find my volume of .088cm^3

Then using Volume = L x W x H(thickness) I plugged in for volume and height and solved the equation.

When I converted micrometers to centimeters my result was 6.811e-3cm.

So (.088cm^3)/.006811cm = L x W (Area).

After I found the area in cm^2 which the above result yields, I converted to meters^2 and got an answer of 1.29e-3m^2.

It says it is wrong, where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your conversion for the thickness is wrong.
1 um is 10^-3mm so 10^-4cm

Alright thanks. That made all the difference, problem solved.

Related to Find Area of flattened gold with limited info.

1. How do you find the area of flattened gold with limited information?

The area of flattened gold can be calculated by using the formula A = L x W, where A is the area, L is the length, and W is the width. If you have the length and width measurements of the gold, you can simply multiply them to find the area. If you do not have this information, you can use other methods such as displacement or volume measurement to estimate the area.

2. What is the importance of finding the area of flattened gold?

Finding the area of flattened gold is important in determining the value and purity of the gold. It can also be used in calculating the amount of gold present in a particular sample or object. Additionally, knowing the area can help in creating accurate and precise molds or designs for jewelry making.

3. Can the area of flattened gold be measured with a ruler?

Yes, the area of flattened gold can be measured with a ruler, as long as you have the length and width measurements. However, using a more precise measuring tool such as a caliper or micrometer can provide more accurate results.

4. What other methods can be used to estimate the area of flattened gold?

Aside from using the length and width measurements, other methods that can be used to estimate the area of flattened gold include displacement, volume measurement, and mathematical calculations based on the shape of the flattened gold.

5. How accurate are the results when estimating the area of flattened gold with limited information?

The accuracy of the results when estimating the area of flattened gold with limited information will depend on the method used and the precision of the measurements. Using multiple methods and taking an average of the results can help improve the accuracy. However, for more precise and accurate measurements, it is best to have complete and exact information about the gold sample.