The element Mercury as a Fuel?

In summary, Mercury has properties that would permit its' use as a Fuel to power Spacecraft. Has this been done before or experimented with? If it is heated to its' vaporization point, what happens? I know it is highly poisonous but I have heard that it has a potential for use as "a" fuel.I supposed it could be ionized and spat out an accelorater. As in an ion drive, although I hadn't heard of the recent NASA tests using mercury.I think the russians used Mercury and the Americans used Xenon.Mercury is not a fuel in preference to xenon or cesium. Xenon has a lower ionization energy than
timejim
Does Mercury have properties that would permit its' use as a Fuel to power Spacecraft? Has this been done before or experimented with? If it is heated to its' vaporization point, what happens? I know it is highly poisonous but I have heard that it has a potential for use as "a" fuel.

Physics news on Phys.org
I supposed it could be ionized and spat out an accelorater. As in an ion drive, although I hadn't heard of the recent NASA tests using mercury.

I think the russians used Mercury and the Americans used Xenon.

In these examples mercury is not a fuel. In order to vaporize and accelerate the mercury ions you need some other source of energy.
The role of the mercury in this (ionic motors, I think) is somewhat similar to the role of water in a steam engine. Water is vaporized and the high pressure vapors are used to push the pistons. But the water is not the fuel. (the fuel was coal usually)

timejim said:
Does Mercury have properties that would permit its' use as a Fuel to power Spacecraft? Has this been done before or experimented with? If it is heated to its' vaporization point, what happens? I know it is highly poisonous but I have heard that it has a potential for use as "a" fuel.
I think one means 'propellant' as opposed to 'fuel'. Propellant is the working fluid which provides thrust by virtue of mass flow rate and exhaust velocity, as apposed to fuel which provide energy. In some cases decomposition of a monopropellant or a bipropellant (fuel/oxidizer), the fuel is part of the working fluid.

Xenon or Cesium is used in preference to mercury.

Edit: Please note the OP was made Dec27-03.

Last edited:
The one property that mercury has over xenon or cesium as an ion-thrust propellant on spacecraft voyages is high density, which makes for easier storage on the spacecraft during long voyages. Mercury has a lower ionization energy than xenon, but higher than cesium. See table:
http://www.lenntech.com/periodic-chart-elements/ionization-energy.htm
Bob S

What is Mercury as a Fuel?

Mercury as a fuel refers to the use of elemental mercury as a source of energy, typically in the form of mercury vapor or mercury amalgam.

How is Mercury used as a Fuel?

Mercury is used as a fuel in various industries, such as in thermometers, fluorescent light bulbs, and batteries. It can also be used in certain power plants to generate electricity through the process of mercury vapor turbines.

What are the Pros of using Mercury as a Fuel?

One of the main advantages of using mercury as a fuel is its high energy density, which means it can produce a lot of energy in a small amount of space. Additionally, it is relatively easy to store and transport, making it a convenient source of energy.

What are the Cons of using Mercury as a Fuel?

One major disadvantage of using mercury as a fuel is its toxicity. Mercury is a highly toxic substance and can have harmful effects on human health and the environment if not handled properly. It also produces pollutants when burned, contributing to air pollution.

What are the Alternatives to using Mercury as a Fuel?

There are several alternative sources of energy that can be used instead of mercury, such as solar, wind, and hydro power. These sources are renewable, clean, and have a lower environmental impact compared to mercury. Additionally, advancements in technology have made these alternatives more cost-effective and efficient.