Find angle, given the tension of the rope.

In summary, the problem is asking for the angle θ between two carts with force sensors attached to them, where the forces on the sensors were different. The information given includes the mass of one cart (457.3 g) and the forces on each cart (16.32 N and 17.03 N). The context is for a lab conclusion and the equations attempted include F = ma and T = mgsinθ. The student is a college freshman-sophomore and is also taking Calculus II. The conversation also includes a question about the significance of g and mass in this problem.
brikayyy

Homework Statement

PROBLEM: Choose a pair of measurements of the forces from parts A5, A6, or A7, where the forces on the sensors were quite different. Imagine there was an angle between one cart and the string. Assuming that the larger force was the true tension in the string, what is the angle θ?

DIAGRAM (GIVEN):

bN5aNVX.png

INFORMATION:

M (of a cart with the sensor) = 457.3 g
F1 (Cart One) = 16.32 N
F2 (Cart Two) = 17.03 N

CONTEXT: This is for a lab conclusion I have to write. For the parts A5 - A7 mentioned in the problem below, those were all sections of the lab where we "played tug-of-war" with carts that had force sensors taped to them. The forces I chose are from when two people of equal mass lifted the carts and did tug-of-war, one for each cart.

Homework Equations

F = ma (?)
T = mgsinθ (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, I thought I could do a simple trigonometry problem, but then I realized that I probably read the problem incorrectly.

I tried to work backwards with T = mgsinθ? So...

T/mg = sinθ
17.03 / ( 457.3 * 9.8 ) = 0.00380003302
0.00380003302 = sinθ
sin-1(0.00380003302) = 0.217726378062

But that seems really off to me... Now I have no idea what to do. Thanks so much for your time!

4. Personal Information

I am a college freshman-sophomore (going into sophomore year and taking summer school classes) taking a basic level Physics class. I have never taken physics in my life prior to this; neither am I good at math. I am simultaneously taking Calculus II right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi brikayyy! welcome to pf! :smile:

what does g have to do with it? :wink:

(or m ?)​

tiny-tim said:
hi brikayyy! welcome to pf! :smile:

what does g have to do with it? :wink:

(or m ?)​

Thanks!

I thought g was significant because you had the two sensors at an angle, basically one hanging off the other. But now I thought about it and this isn't the same as some other tension problems I've seen where one object is suspended in the air by a string. I'm assuming this censor is lying flat on a surface?

I admit I initially didn't think mass was significant, but I didn't know how to do a tension problem, so I tried to look up the formula for tension. I'm not sure if the same logic as I just explained above applies here, that it's not important because the sensor is not hanging off the other one?

Related to Find angle, given the tension of the rope.

1. How do you find the angle given the tension of the rope?

To find the angle, you can use the trigonometric equation θ = sin-1(T/W), where θ is the angle, T is the tension of the rope, and W is the weight of the object attached to the rope. This equation assumes a massless and frictionless pulley system.

2. Can the angle be greater than 90 degrees?

Yes, the angle can be greater than 90 degrees. This would indicate that the rope is pulling the object downward rather than upward.

3. What information do I need to know in order to find the angle?

You will need to know the tension of the rope and the weight of the object attached to the rope. Additionally, you will need to understand the geometry and setup of the system, such as the presence of pulleys or other forces acting on the object.

4. Are there any limitations to this equation?

Yes, this equation assumes certain conditions, such as a massless and frictionless pulley system, and that the rope is not stretched or compressed. If these conditions are not met, the calculated angle may not be accurate.

5. Can this equation be used for any type of rope or material?

This equation can be used for ropes made of any material, as long as the assumptions and conditions mentioned in question 4 are met. However, the weight of the rope itself may need to be taken into account if it is significant compared to the weight of the object attached to it.