Find $\angle BPC$ in Triangle ABC with $\angle ACB=\angle ABC=80^\circ$

In summary, In triangle ABC, $\angle ACB=\angle ABC=80^\circ$ and $P$ is on the line segment $AB$ such that $BC=AP$. Find $\angle BPC$.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
In triangle ABC, $\angle ACB=\angle ABC=80^\circ$ and $P$ is on the line segment $AB$ such that $BC=AP$. Find $\angle BPC$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let $AB = 2x = AC$ then $AP = PB = x$, use the cosine law in the triangle $APC$ we found that
$PC^2 = x^2 + 4x^2 - 2(x)(2x) \cos 20 = x^2 ( 5 - 4\cos 20)\Rightarrow PC = x \sqrt{5 - 4\cos 20} $

again

$AC^2 = PC^2 + AP^2 - 2(PC)(AP) \cos \angle APC$

$3x^2 = x^2 ( 5 -4 \cos 20) + - 2x^2 \sqrt{5 - 4 \cos 20} \cos \angle APC $

$3 = 5 - 4 \cos 20 - 2 \sqrt{5 - 4 \cos 20} \cos \angle APC $

$\cos APC = \frac{1 - 2\cos 20}{\sqrt{5 - 4 \cos 20}}= - 0.789$

$\angle BPC = 180 - \arccos( - 0.789 ) $

Amer said:
Let $AB = 2x = AC$ then $AP = PB = x$, use the cosine law in the triangle $APC$ we found that
$PC^2 = x^2 + 4x^2 - 2(x)(2x) \cos 20 = x^2 ( 5 - 4\cos 20)\Rightarrow PC = x \sqrt{5 - 4\cos 20} $

again

$AC^2 = PC^2 + AP^2 - 2(PC)(AP) \cos \angle APC$

$3x^2 = x^2 ( 5 -4 \cos 20) + - 2x^2 \sqrt{5 - 4 \cos 20} \cos \angle APC $

$3 = 5 - 4 \cos 20 - 2 \sqrt{5 - 4 \cos 20} \cos \angle APC $

$\cos APC = \frac{1 - 2\cos 20}{\sqrt{5 - 4 \cos 20}}= - 0.789$

$\angle BPC = 180 - \arccos( - 0.789 ) $

Hi Amer! Thanks for participating but I'm sorry...your answer isn't correct...:(

anemone said:
Hi Amer! Thanks for participating but I'm sorry...your answer isn't correct...:(
I understand the question in a wrong way I will edit my post :)

I'm quite certain I know the answer, but I can't prove it. If the following is the way you went, I'd appreciate a hint.
When I carefully draw the figure, I see that the circum center O of triangle PBC has the property that triangle OBC is equilateral. From this the desired angle is obvious, but why is OBC equilateral?

Trig proof:

WLOG, let \(\displaystyle \overline{BC}=1\), so \(\displaystyle \overline{AP}=1\). Construct segment \(\displaystyle \overline{PD}\) such that \(\displaystyle D\) lies on \(\displaystyle \overline{AC}\) and \(\displaystyle \overline{PD}\) is parallel to \(\displaystyle \overline{BC}\).

\(\displaystyle \overline{PD}=2\cos80\), so \(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{\overline{PB}+1}=2\cos80\implies\overline{PB}=\dfrac{1-2\cos80}{2\cos80}\)

Let \(\displaystyle \angle{BPC}=\theta\). Then

\(\displaystyle \begin{align*}\tan(\theta-10)&=\dfrac{\dfrac{1+2\cos80}{2}}{\dfrac{\cos10-2\cos10\cos80}{2\cos80}} \\
&=\dfrac{(1+2\cos80)\cos80}{\cos10-2\cos10\cos80} \\
&=\dfrac{\cos80+2\cos^280}{\cos10-\cos70} \\
&=\dfrac{\cos80+2\cos^280}{\sin40} \\
&=\dfrac{\cos80+1-\cos20}{\sin40} \\
&=\dfrac{1-\sin50}{\sin40} \\
&=\csc40-\cot40 \\
&=\tan20 \\
\theta-10&=20 \\
\theta=30^\circ\end{align*}\)

Attachments

• measure of Angle BPC=30.jpg
    measure of Angle BPC=30.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 65
Albert said:
Geometric Solution:

Albert, please post attachments inline so that you can hide them using the spoiler tags. Also, I find your solution to be very hard to follow without the supporting computations. :)

johng said:
I'm quite certain I know the answer, but I can't prove it. If the following is the way you went, I'd appreciate a hint.
When I carefully draw the figure, I see that the circum center O of triangle PBC has the property that triangle OBC is equilateral. From this the desired angle is obvious, but why is OBC equilateral?

Hi johng,
I appreciate you taking the time to try this challenge out and I'm sorry as the solutions that I have don't use the method as you proposed so I think you have to rely on your own to figure out why OBC is equilateral...:)

And thanks to greg1313 for your trigonometric proof and Albert, I actually have hope to see your geometric proof to be back up by facts. :D

Two circles with centers C and E
We have BC=CE=EP=AP
then $\angle A=\angle 1=20^o=2\angle 2$
$\therefore \angle 2=10^o,\,\, and \,\,\angle APE=140^o$
$\angle APC=150^o$ , so we get
$\angle BPC=30^o$
I am sure my geometric proof is back up by facts.

Last edited:
Albert,
I believe you have made an error in your proof. Here's why I think this:

21c8qib.png

Last edited by a moderator:
johng said:
Albert,
I believe you have made an error in your proof. Here's why I think this:
from my diagram point E is on segment AC
no error I am sure,please check again

anemone said:
In triangle ABC, $\angle ACB=\angle ABC=80^\circ$ and $P$ is on the line segment $AB$ such that $BC=AP$. Find $\angle BPC$.
The 80-80-20 triangle has a very rich structure, and is the source of many good problems. I remember coming across some of them when I was a teenager, 60 years ago. I found this particular problem on the internet, here, with links to seven different solutions. They are all interesting, especially Solutions #1–#3, which all use different (ingenious and elegant) geometric constructions.

Albert,
My apologies. In your diagram, I didn't understand why |PE|=|BC| (I still can't see this). I then got all excited and drew the wrong diagram.
OpalG, I read the first three solutions in your link and I agree completely that they are elegant and ingenious. Thanks much for the link.

johng said:
Albert,
My apologies. In your diagram, I didn't understand why |PE|=|BC| (I still can't see this). I then got all excited and drew the wrong diagram.
OpalG, I read the first three solutions in your link and I agree completely that they are elegant and ingenious. Thanks much for the link.
please see my post #10

Related to Find $\angle BPC$ in Triangle ABC with $\angle ACB=\angle ABC=80^\circ$

What is the given information about Triangle ABC?

The given information is that Triangle ABC has two angles, ACB and ABC, that are both equal to 80 degrees.

What is the measure of angle BPC?

The measure of angle BPC cannot be determined with the given information. Additional information about the triangle's side lengths or other angles is needed to find the measure of angle BPC.

What is the sum of the angles in Triangle ABC?

The sum of the angles in any triangle is always 180 degrees. So, in Triangle ABC, the sum of angles ACB, ABC, and BCA would be 180 degrees.

Can Triangle ABC be classified as a right triangle?

No, Triangle ABC cannot be classified as a right triangle because none of its angles measure 90 degrees, which is a requirement for a triangle to be classified as a right triangle.

Can Triangle ABC be classified as an isosceles triangle?

Yes, Triangle ABC can be classified as an isosceles triangle because it has two angles, ACB and ABC, that are equal to 80 degrees, making the two corresponding sides also equal in length.