Find an equation for the hyperbola.

• Thread starter wat2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hyperbola
In summary: y^2/(49/4) + x^2/(147/4) =1. and this simplifies to 4y^2/49 + 4x^2/147 = 1. and that's the final answer.
wat2000
Find an equation for the hyperbola that satisfies the given conditions. Foci (0, ±7), length of transverse axis 7. I am a little confused on how to solve this. I tried to solve it and I've found that c^2= 49 so I know that a^2 and b^2 must add up to 49 but I am not sure what my next step is. Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
wat2000 said:
Find an equation for the hyperbola that satisfies the given conditions. Foci (0, ±7), length of transverse axis 7. I am a little confused on how to solve this. I tried to solve it and I've found that c^2= 49 so I know that a^2 and b^2 must add up to 49 but I am not sure what my next step is. Can someone help me?

If by "the length of the transverse axis" you mean the distance between the intercepts, then you would have 2a = 7. That should help.

so a would equal 2/7? Do i solve 2a=7 to create that fraction?

Last edited:
wat2000 said:
so a would equal 2/7? Do i solve 2a=7 to create that fraction?

You mean 7/2. :cry: Now find b.

yes I mean 7/2. anyway i don't know how to find b. the only thing i can think of is to square 7/2 and 7 to give me 7/4 and 49 and then subtract them to give me b. that doesn't work though. what's my next step?

js14 said:
yes I mean 7/2. anyway i don't know how to find b. the only thing i can think of is to square 7/2 and 7 to give me 7/4 and 49 and then subtract them to give me b. that doesn't work though. what's my next step?
Yes, you need to use the Pythagorean relation
[tex]c^2 = a^2 + b^2[/tex]
to find b. What do you mean, it "doesn't work"? Show us what you got.

ok I have it now. i was looking at it wrong. 7/2 squares to 49/4 so a^2=49/4. and when i use the formula c^2 = a^2 + b^2 to find b^2. i plug 7 into c^2 and 49/4 into a^2. this gives me (7)^2=49/4 +b^2. then i square 7 to give me 49=49/4+b^2 then subtract 49/4 to get b^2 by itself and I get 147/4 = b^2. and since the foci points are (0, ±7) the y^2 should be out front.
y^2/(49/4) + x^2/(147/4) =1. and this simplifies to 4y^2/49 + 4x^2/147 = 1. and that's the final answer.

Related to Find an equation for the hyperbola.

1. What is a hyperbola?

A hyperbola is a type of conic section, which is a curve formed by the intersection of a cone and a plane. It is defined by the equation (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center and a and b are the distances from the center to the vertices in the x and y directions, respectively.

2. How do you find the equation for a hyperbola?

The general equation for a hyperbola is (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center and a and b are the distances from the center to the vertices in the x and y directions, respectively. To find the specific equation for a given hyperbola, you will need to know the coordinates of its center, the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, and the orientation of the hyperbola (vertical or horizontal).

3. What is the difference between a horizontal and vertical hyperbola?

A horizontal hyperbola has its transverse axis (the line passing through the center and the two vertices) parallel to the x-axis, while a vertical hyperbola has its transverse axis parallel to the y-axis. This affects the equation of the hyperbola, with the x and y terms being switched for a vertical hyperbola (e.g. (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1 for a horizontal hyperbola, and (y-k)^2/a^2 - (x-h)^2/b^2 = 1 for a vertical hyperbola).

4. Can a hyperbola have a center at the origin?

Yes, a hyperbola can have its center at the origin, meaning the coordinates of the center (h,k) would be (0,0). In this case, the equation would simplify to x^2/a^2 - y^2/b^2 = 1 for a horizontal hyperbola, and y^2/a^2 - x^2/b^2 = 1 for a vertical hyperbola.

5. How can I graph a hyperbola?

To graph a hyperbola, you will need to plot the center point, the two vertices, and the two foci (which are located along the transverse axis, a distance c from the center). Then, use the semi-major axis (a) and semi-minor axis (b) to determine the shape of the curve and draw it using a smooth, curved line. Remember to label the axes and any important points on the graph, such as asymptotes and intersections with other curves.