Find Ampermeter Current from Circuit | R1 = 10 Ω; R2 = 10 Ω; R3 = 30 Ω

• Thread starter kaspis245
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with resistors of 10Ω, 10Ω, and 30Ω, and the goal is to find the reading of an amperemeter. The attempt at a solution involves using Kirchhoff's rules and results in a value of 1.14A for I3. It is also mentioned that there will be a voltage between points C and D, even though I2 is 0. The last statement clarifies that no current flows into or out of C and D, thus I2 is 0.
kaspis245

Homework Statement

There is a circuit which is shown in the picture. ##R_1=10 Ω;## ##R_2=10 Ω;## ##R_3=30 Ω##.
I need to find what ampermeter is showing.
123.png

Homework Equations

U=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

1234.png

I am trying to use kirchhoff rules here.

##I_1=I_2+I_3##
##I_1R_1+I_3R_3=80##
##I_2R_2=I_3R_3##

I get that ##I_3=1.14A##. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming C & D are open as shown, I2 should be 0.

Likes CWatters
But how do I know whether there is voltage between C and D? It is not stated in the problem. In fact, the next question of this problem asks to find the voltage between C & D.

There will be a voltage between C and D, even though I2 = 0.

kaspis245 said:
I am trying to use kirchhoff rules here.
snip
I2R2=I3R3

That last line isn't correct. The voltage across R2 and R3 are not the same.

There is nothing connected to C and D so no current flows into or out of C and D. So I2 = 0. Think what that means for I1 and I3.

Related to Find Ampermeter Current from Circuit | R1 = 10 Ω; R2 = 10 Ω; R3 = 30 Ω

1. How do I calculate the total resistance of the circuit?

To calculate the total resistance of a circuit, you need to add the individual resistances of all the components. In this case, the total resistance would be R1 + R2 + R3, which equals 50 Ω.

2. What is the formula for calculating current in a circuit?

The formula for calculating current in a circuit is I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms. In this case, with a total resistance of 50 Ω and a voltage of 10 volts, the current would be 10/50 = 0.2 amperes.

3. How do I determine the current through each individual resistor?

To determine the current through each resistor, you can use Ohm's law (I = V/R) or Kirchhoff's circuit laws. In this circuit, since all the resistors are in parallel, the current through each resistor would be the same, which is 0.2 amperes.

4. Can I use a multimeter to measure the current in this circuit?

Yes, you can use a multimeter to measure the current in this circuit. Set the multimeter to measure amperes and connect it in series with one of the resistors. The reading on the multimeter should be 0.2 amperes, which is the total current in the circuit.

5. How does the resistance of a component affect the current in a circuit?

The resistance of a component affects the current in a circuit because the higher the resistance, the lower the current. In this circuit, R3 has the highest resistance and therefore has the lowest amount of current flowing through it compared to R1 and R2.