What could be causing the discrepancy in my circular motion calculations?

In summary, the discrepancy in circular motion calculations could be caused by various factors such as errors in measurement, inconsistencies in data, or the presence of external forces. It is important to carefully review and analyze all the variables involved in the calculation to determine the source of the discrepancy and make necessary adjustments to improve accuracy.
PianoMan
God, I'm getting so frustrated.

A 0.50kg ball that is tied to the end of a 1.5m light cord is revolved in a horizontal plane with the cord making a 30 degree angle with the vertical.

a) what is the ball's speed.

Now, I drew my little diagram, solved for the force of tension (got 5.66N). I plug that in for my Centripetal Force in

Centripetal Force = mv^2/r, solve for v, and got 4.1 . The book gets like, 2.1. I'm getting so frustrated right now...let me know if you can help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you forget to take the SQUARE ROOT?

I can understand your frustration, circular motion can be tricky to understand at times. However, it's important to stay calm and keep trying. Let's take a closer look at this problem and see where the discrepancy might be coming from.

First, let's make sure we are using the correct formula for centripetal force. The formula you have written, F = mv^2/r, is actually the formula for centripetal acceleration. The formula for centripetal force is F = mv^2/r. This may be the reason for the difference in your answer.

Next, let's check our calculations. When solving for the force of tension, did you take into account the horizontal and vertical components of the force? Remember, the force of tension is not acting directly in the horizontal direction, so we need to use trigonometry to find the horizontal component.

Lastly, let's check our units. The given mass is in kilograms, but the formula for centripetal force requires the mass to be in kilograms. Make sure all of your units are consistent throughout your calculations.

I hope this helps you understand where the discrepancy in your answer may be coming from. Remember, practice makes perfect and don't get discouraged. Keep trying and you will eventually get the hang of circular motion. Good luck!

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path. This type of motion is characterized by a constant distance between the object and a fixed point, known as the center of the circle, and a constant speed along the path.

What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves along a circular path with a constant speed, while non-uniform circular motion is when the speed of the object varies along the path. In non-uniform circular motion, the object may be accelerating or decelerating, causing a change in its speed.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. This force is necessary to keep the object moving along the circular path and is responsible for changing the direction of the object's velocity.

What is the relationship between centripetal force and circular motion?

The relationship between centripetal force and circular motion is that centripetal force is required for an object to maintain its circular motion. In other words, without a centripetal force acting on an object, it would move in a straight line rather than along a circular path.

How is circular motion related to everyday life?

Circular motion can be seen in many aspects of everyday life, such as the rotation of the Earth around the sun, the motion of a Ferris wheel, or the movement of a satellite in orbit. It is also involved in activities like swinging a ball on a string or driving on a curved road. Understanding circular motion can help explain many phenomena in the natural world and is essential in fields such as engineering and physics.