Identifying Collinear, Parallel & Coplanar Vectors

In summary, parallel vectors are those that act along the same line but may have a separation between them, while collinear vectors are those that act along the same line without any separation. Mathematically, parallel vectors have a dot product of 1 and a cross product of 0, while collinear vectors have a dot product of 1 and a cross product of 0. Additionally, parallel vectors can have different magnitudes and phases, while collinear vectors have the same magnitude and phase. A quick way to determine parallelism is by checking if one vector is a multiple of the other.
dcl
Heyas.

I'm need help knowing what is meant by the term Collinear, parrallel and coplanar vectors...

How do I identify collinear, parallel or coplanar vectors?

If 2 vectors are parallel, say 'a' and 'b' then if a = k*b they are parallel?

I really need some help understanding these terms and definitions.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Vectors...

Hi,

Before answering ur qn, let me just tell u these...

2 points are said to be colinear if they lie on the same line.
---A---->----B---> Here in this diagram, points A and B lie on the same line and hence are colinear. Thus when 2 vectors act along the same line, then they are said to be colinear.

When 2 vectors act along the same line but have a separation between them, they are said to be Parallel. i.e Parallel vectors have the same phase, but different magnitudes. That is why when 2 vectors A and B are parallel, then, A=kB, where, K is a constant.

--------A---------> Here A and B are parallel.
----------B--------->

Note: Colinear Vectors are also Parallel vectors except that they lie on the same line.

Mathematically speaking, when 2 vectors are parallel, the dot product of the vectors are 1 and their cross product is zero.(As angle between them is zero)

2 vectors are said to be Co planar if they act in the same plane but they have diferent/same magnitudes and phases.

Hope u Understood.

Sridhar

Thanks for that :)
knowing that the dot product of parallel vectors is 1 should help me out heaps. That isn't mentioned in my textbook anywhere.

That should have cleared that up for me. :)

Mathematically speaking, when 2 vectors are parallel, the dot product of the vectors are 1 and their cross product is zero.(As angle between them is zero)

When two vectors are parallel, their cross product is zero (although that would be the hard way to determine parallelism) but their dot product is NOT necessarily 1. The dot product of two parallel vectors is the product of their lengths.

If 2 vectors are parallel, say 'a' and 'b' then if a = k*b they are parallel?

I think what you mean to say here is that "two vectors are parallel if and only if one is a multiple of the other". That is true and is the easiest way to determine whether two vectors are parallel.

vectors

How to differentiate between parallel vectors & collinear vectors?

What is the definition of a collinear vector?

A collinear vector is a vector that lies on the same line as another vector. This means that they have the same direction and magnitude.

How do you identify parallel vectors?

To identify parallel vectors, you can compare their directions. If two vectors have the same direction, they are parallel. Another way to determine parallel vectors is by calculating the slope of each vector. If the slopes are equal, the vectors are parallel.

What does it mean for vectors to be coplanar?

Vectors are coplanar if they all lie on the same plane. This means that they can be drawn on a flat surface without any of the vectors crossing over each other.

How do you determine if vectors are coplanar?

To determine if vectors are coplanar, you can use the determinant of a 3x3 matrix. If the determinant is equal to 0, then the vectors are coplanar. Another way is to see if the vectors can be written as a linear combination of two other vectors on the same plane.

Can a vector be both parallel and coplanar at the same time?

Yes, a vector can be both parallel and coplanar at the same time. This means that the vector lies on the same plane as another vector and has the same direction as the other vector.