Find all equivalence classes. Questions about functions

In summary, the conversation discussed questions about functions, specifically the equivalence relation on a set A and how to find the equivalence classes for a specific function. The proofs for reflexiveness, symmetry, and transitivity of the equivalence relation were provided, as well as a method for finding the equivalence classes by partitioning the set A based on the result of the function f. The resulting quotient set for a specific function was also discussed.
Caldus
Questions about functions:

Let A be a set and let f: A -> A be a function. For x,y belongs to A, define x ~ y if f(x) = f(y):

a. Prove that ~ is an equivalence relation on A.

This is my guess, but I am not sure whether I'm right:

Proving reflexiveness: If (x,y) belong to A, then f(x) = f(x), therefore, (x,y) ~ (x,y).

Proving symmetry: If (x,y) belong to A, then f(x) = f(y), therefore if (y,x) belong to A, then f(y) = f(x), so (x,y) ~ (y,x).

Proving transitivity: If (x,y) and (y,z) belong to A, then if f(x) = f(y) and f(y) = f(z), then f(x) = f(z). Therefore, (x,y) ~ (x,z).

Is this right?

b. Suppose A = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6} and f = {(1,2), (2,1), (3,1), (4,5), (5,6), (6,1)}. Find all equivalence classes.

I have no idea where to start with this one. Could someone start this one out? I would really appreciate it.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Reflexivness is just proving that x ~ x, for any x in A. There shouldn't be any "y" term in your proof.

The way to prove symmetry is to assume x ~ y and show that this implies y ~ x (for any x,y in A).

Similarly, for transitivity you must show that for any x,y,z in A if x ~ y and y ~ z then x ~ z.

In all three of your proofs you seem to be using "if (x,y) belong to A" as a synonym for "if x,y in A and x ~ y". This is incorrect.

The easiest way to solve the second question is just by brute force. Group the elements of {1,2,3,4,5,6} by what the result of f(x) is. In other words, split the numbers up into a set where f(x)=1, a set where f(x)=2, and so on. These are your equivalence classes.

Wouldn't x,y be used in each one? Since a function is a cartesian product or whatever.

Yes, elements of a function can be considered as ordered pairs. However the equivalence relation is on the set A, which his not made up of ordered pairs. So you have to examine elements of A, not elements of the function f.

You start everyone with "If (x,y) belongs to A" which is incorrect.
A is the set containing x or y. If does not contain (x,y)!

The first one now reads:

Reflexive: If x belongs to A, then f(x) = f(x). Therefore, x ~ x.
Symmetry: If x ~ y, then f(x) = f(y). So f(y) = f(x) and y ~ x.
Transitive: If x ~ y and y ~ z, then f(x) = f(y) and f(y) = f(z). Then f(x) = f(z). Therefore, x ~ z.

And I still don't know what to do for the second part.

For the second part, could this be a possibility?:

Equivalence class of (1,2): {(x,y) | (x,y) belongs to (1,2)}
Equivalence class of (2,1): {(x,y) | (x,y) belongs to (2,1)}
(And so on...?)

Given a set and an equivalence relation, in this case A and ~, you can partition A into sets called equivalence classes. These equivalence classes have the special property that:

If x ~ y if and only if x and y are in the same equivalance class.

In this case, two elements are equivalent if f(x) = f(y). Thus all the elements with f(x) = 1 are in the same equivalence class, and all the elements with f(x) not= 1 are in different equivalence classes. Similarly, all the elements with f(x) = 2 are in the same equivalence class, and all the elements with f(x) = 3 are in the same equivalence class, and so on.

Note that in this case, we are still working with elements of A, not elements of f. Thus the elements of the equivalence classes with be numbers, not ordered pairs.

Thank you. That helped a lot.

My quotient set ends up being:

{{1}, {2,3,6}, {4}, {5}}

Is this right?

Originally posted by Caldus
Thank you. That helped a lot.

My quotient set ends up being:

{{1}, {2,3,6}, {4}, {5}}

Is this right?

Yes.

Related to Find all equivalence classes. Questions about functions

1. What are equivalence classes?

Equivalence classes are sets of objects or elements that are grouped together based on a specific equivalence relation. This means that all elements within an equivalence class are considered equivalent to each other, while elements from different equivalence classes are not equivalent.

2. How do you find all equivalence classes?

To find all equivalence classes, you need to identify the equivalence relation first. Then, you can group together all elements that are related to each other based on this relation. This can be done through various methods such as creating a table or diagram, or using algorithms such as the partition method.

3. Why is it important to find all equivalence classes?

Finding all equivalence classes is important because it helps us understand the relationships and patterns within a set of objects or elements. It can also aid in simplifying complex problems and finding solutions by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable groups.

4. Can two elements belong to multiple equivalence classes?

No, an element can only belong to one equivalence class at a time. This is because equivalence classes are defined by a specific equivalence relation, and an element cannot satisfy multiple relations simultaneously.

5. How can equivalence classes be applied in real-world scenarios?

Equivalence classes can be applied in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and social sciences. For example, in mathematics, they can be used to classify numbers based on their properties or relationships. In computer science, they can help with data organization and searching algorithms. In social sciences, they can be used to group individuals based on shared characteristics or behaviors.