Find Acceleration of Objects with Kinetic Friction

In summary, an object of mass 5kg on a horizontal surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction .45 is connected to an object with a mass of 3kg hanging vertically off the edge of a table. The acceleration of the two objects can be found by using Newton's second law and solving for the net force in the x direction, which is equal to the gravitational force on the hanging object minus the kinetic friction on the first object. The resulting acceleration is the same for both objects.
anonymity
An object of mass 5kg is on a horizontal surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction .45. The object is connected by a string of negligible mass through a frictionless pulley to an object with a mass of 3kg (hanging vertically off the edge of a table, sort of situation..sorry, this is all paraphrased). Find the acceleration of the two objects.

kinetic friction on object 1:

f = N * u = 9.81m/s^2 * 5kg * .45 = 22.073NFgrav on object 2:

F = a*m = g*m = 9.81m/s^2 *3kg = 29.43NFgrav gets transferred through tension to object one, and the net force in the x direction is:

Fnet = Fgrav -f = 29.43 - 22.073 = 7.36N

----------------------------------------------------------I can't figure out how to get this into acceleration though..little help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anonymity said:
An object of mass 5kg is on a horizontal surface with a coefficient of kinetic friction .45. The object is connected by a string of negligible mass through a frictionless pulley to an object with a mass of 3kg (hanging vertically off the edge of a table, sort of situation..sorry, this is all paraphrased). Find the acceleration of the two objects.

kinetic friction on object 1:

f = N * u = 9.81m/s^2 * 5kg * .45 = 22.073NFgrav on object 2:

F = a*m = g*m = 9.81m/s^2 *3kg = 29.43NFgrav gets transferred through tension to object one, and the net force in the x direction is:

Fnet = Fgrav -f = 29.43 - 22.073 = 7.36N

----------------------------------------------------------I can't figure out how to get this into acceleration though..little help?
Use Newton's second law:

[tex]F_{net}=Ma=F_g-f[/tex]

hi anonymity! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 iocns just above the Reply box :wink:)
anonymity said:
F = a*m = g*m

nooo … the acceleration of mass 2 is less than g, it's the same as the acceleration of mass 1 (in a different direction, of course)

you need to do full Ftotal = ma on each of mass 1 and on mass 2 (separately), and then eliminate T …

what do you get? :smile:

G01 said:
Use Newton's second law:

[tex]F_{net}=Ma=F_g-f[/tex]

Hey, thanks for the response.

That is what I did (this was for an online problem set), but it was asking for one answer for both of them..I squared the two, added them, and took the square root because I didnt know what to do =x (it was multiple choice and I saw an answer very close to that which I found, so I gambled it)

It seemed wrong, and it was! lol

I had a = 7.36 / 5 and a = 7.36 / 3

Tiny: is that what you meant?

edit:

i'll clarify how i got that in case there is confusion.

Fnet, m1, x = m2g - fk = T => T = 29.43 - 22.073 = 7.36

Ma = T
a = T / M

Is that wrong?

I don't know what you mean by full, that is every force acting on it in the x direction, and vice versa (for m2 in the y direction). They each only motion in one dimension. Plus, the tension is the same across the whole length of the rope, so solving for it once (as above) would be enough..solving for it again through the m2 in the y direction would just yield the same result, wouldn't it?

Last edited:
hi anonymity! :wink:
anonymity said:

Tiny: Is that what you meant?

(you were just guessing, weren't you?)

no, i meant call the tension T, and do Ftotal = ma twice, once for each block (including T in each Ftotal), and then eliminate T

(G01's :smile: method avoids using T, but I'm not sure the professor would let you do that … you don't seem to be familiar with it :redface:)

tiny-tim said:
hi anonymity! :wink:(you were just guessing, weren't you?)

no, i meant call the tension T, and do Ftotal = ma twice, once for each block (including T in each Ftotal), and then eliminate T

(G01's :smile: method avoids using T, but I'm not sure the professor would let you do that … you don't seem to be familiar with it :redface:)

deleted..

can you just tell me what I'm doing wrong =|

It seems to me that I did exactly what G01 recommended, and that regardless of the method, you should find the same acceleration. You are saying the accelerations are the same (which makes sense), but I don't see how you could get a single acceleration from what I did and what G01 suggested.

Last edited:
hmm … you edited after my last reply …
anonymity said:
edit:

Ma = T
a = T / M

Is that wrong?

is this supposed to be F = ma on the upper block?

then there's no "a" in it, and you have 3 forces even though there are only two forcesw on the upper block :confused:

or were you trying to do F = ma on both blocks combined?
I don't know what you mean by full, that is every force acting on it in the x direction, and vice versa (for m2 in the y direction). They each only motion in one dimension. Plus, the tension is the same across the whole length of the rope, so solving for it once (as above) would be enough..solving for it again through the m2 in the y direction would just yield the same result, wouldn't it?

no, that would give you 2 equations for 2 unknowns …*eliminate one unknown (T) and you find the other (a)

Like this?

Attachments

• phys.jpg.jpg
    phys.jpg.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 325
anonymity said:
Hey, thanks for the response.

That is what I did (this was for an online problem set), but it was asking for one answer for both of them..I squared the two, added them, and took the square root because I didnt know what to do =x (it was multiple choice and I saw an answer very close to that which I found, so I gambled it)

It seemed wrong, and it was! lol

Tiny: is that what you meant?

edit:

Ma = T
a = T / M

Is that wrong?

You are dividing by the wrong mass. Using my approach, the mass multiplying a is the mass of the entire system, not just the one block.

However, you seem really confused about this problem. So, I agree with tiny tim that you should solve this going about it the standard way. Draw free body diagrams for each block and write Newton's second law equations for each block. You will end up with two unknowns, a and T, and two equations. You should then be able to solve for a.

Going about it this way may help clear up some confusion about the method I posted above.
(I essentially skip a step and combine both Newton's second law equations into one right from the start.)

anonymity said:
Like this?

Sorry. I can't read anything in that image.

Related to Find Acceleration of Objects with Kinetic Friction

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object with kinetic friction?

To calculate the acceleration of an object with kinetic friction, you will need to use the following formula: a = (F - μkN)/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the applied force, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, N is the normal force, and m is the mass of the object.

2. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that keeps an object from moving when an external force is applied, while kinetic friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object already in motion. Static friction is generally greater than kinetic friction.

3. How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect the acceleration of an object?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the roughness of two surfaces in contact. A higher coefficient of kinetic friction means there is more resistance to motion, resulting in a smaller acceleration of the object.

4. What factors can affect the acceleration of an object with kinetic friction?

The acceleration of an object with kinetic friction can be affected by the applied force, the mass of the object, the coefficient of kinetic friction, and the normal force. Other factors that may affect the acceleration include surface roughness, temperature, and the presence of lubricants.

5. How can the acceleration of an object with kinetic friction be used in real-life situations?

The acceleration of an object with kinetic friction can be used to calculate the speed and distance an object will travel, as well as the time it takes to stop. This information can be applied in various real-life situations, such as designing braking systems for vehicles or predicting the motion of objects on inclined surfaces.