Linear Algebra: Solving AB=AC with Non-Equal Matrices B and C

In summary: I should have been more aware of the chat box and not posted.In summary, Mark is trying to solve a problem for which he has no previous experience. He sets all of the variables to equal zero and calculates the matrix B-C. This matrix has entries (-a+4c, -b+4d) and can be calculated by the kernel of A. He also calculates another matrix C such that AC is also the zero matrix.
lubricarret

Homework Statement

Let A=
[-1 4
3 -12]
Find two 2x2 matrices B and C such that AB=AC but B does not equal C .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was going through my book, and am a bit confused with this problem. How would I solve this?

I know it's easy to prove AB = AC if B = C, as you could cancel the A's out by multiplying A^(-1) on each side if the matrix was invertible... but I'm not sure how to solve for the matrices B and C, given A if B cannot equal C. Any suggestions on how to begin this problem would be very helpful. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The matrix you are given isn't invertible, so you won't be able to solve for B and C by multiplying AB and AC on the left by the inverse of A.

Let B be a 2 x 2 matrix whose entries are (a, b) (top row) and (c d) (bottom row).
Then A*B = (-a + 4c, -b + 4d) (top row) and (3a - 12c, 3b - 12d) (bottom row).

Can you find values for a, b, c, and d, so that AB is the zero matrix?
Can you find another set of values for a, b, c, and d, getting another matrix C so that AC is also the zero matrix?

Thanks for the help!

This may sound like a stupid question, as I've encountered this problem before in this course... how would I solve for 4 unknowns in this way; I haven't taken Math for 4 years before Linear Algebra, so I'm rusty on how to do these types of equations.
I would set all equal to zero, and then...

It's a very simple problem.

AB=AC. It means A(B-C)=0. You can find the matrix B-C as the kernel of A. So we have infinite couple B,C.

Easy, right?

lubricarret said:
Thanks for the help!

This may sound like a stupid question, as I've encountered this problem before in this course... how would I solve for 4 unknowns in this way; I haven't taken Math for 4 years before Linear Algebra, so I'm rusty on how to do these types of equations.
I would set all equal to zero, and then...

I wound up with two equations in four unknowns, with one equation involving a and c, and the other involving b and d. That means that I could put in arbitrary values for c and d to get, respectively, a and b.

Hi Mark,

When you set all of them equal to zero do you see any pattern?

What if you solve the equations that have an 'a' in them for 'a' and solve the equations that have a 'b' in them for 'b'. Do you see a pattern now?

Great, thanks guys!

I set each to equal the zero matrix; so ended up getting a = 4c, and b = 4d. I used arbitrary numbers for C and D, and got two separate matrices B and C such that AB = AC...

for example, these worked out:
[4 8
1 2]
and
[12 16
3 4]

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Thats it! Good work.

Also my appologies to Mark44, I see you were helping answering the question, when lubricarret was asking it.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It is used to solve complex problems involving multiple variables and equations.

2. What does AB=AC mean in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, the equation AB=AC means that the product of matrix A and matrix B is equal to the product of matrix A and matrix C. This is known as the matrix multiplication property.

3. What is the significance of AB=AC in linear algebra?

The equation AB=AC in linear algebra is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations. It also helps in understanding the relationships between different matrices and their products.

4. Can AB=AC hold true for all matrices A, B, and C?

No, the equation AB=AC cannot hold true for all matrices A, B, and C. In order for it to hold true, the number of rows in matrix B must be equal to the number of columns in matrix A and the number of columns in matrix C. This is known as the compatibility condition for matrix multiplication.

5. How can we solve the equation AB=AC in linear algebra?

To solve the equation AB=AC, we can use the properties of matrix multiplication and solve for the unknown matrix. We can also use techniques such as Gaussian elimination to reduce the system of equations to a simpler form and find the solution.