Find a point on the line closest to another point

In summary: The distance of P from the normal line is the length of the line drawn perpendicularly to the normal...where is that line?The normal, but... it seems kinda redundant if it lies on the same line , anyway to me at least.The normal, but... it seems kinda redundant if it lies on the same line , anyway to me at least.Of course, it intersects the normal, but what is the position of the line drawn from P and perpendicular to the normal, with respect to the plane? Try to draw a picture.
MarcL

Homework Statement

(2 part problem) a) A plane passes through the point P(3,1,4) and is orthogona to the line (x-1)/2 = (2-y)/-7 = z-3
b) Find the point on the line closest to point (3,1,4)

Homework Equations

Symmetric equation --> (x-x1)/t = (y-y1)/t = (z-z1)/t ( anyway i think that's what it is

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the equation of the plane using the direction vector as (2,-7,1)
and used this form 2(x-3)-7(y-1)+(z-4)= 0

I can't seem to be able to go on to start b. I would think of plugging P in but that seems way too easy.

Any idea on how I can approach this?

Physics news on Phys.org
MarcL said:

I can't seem to be able to go on to start b. I would think of plugging P in but that seems way too easy.

Where will that closest point be in relation to the plane?

MarcL said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Check the sign of the y component of the direction vector.

MarcL said:

The distance of P from the normal line is the length of the line drawn perpendicularly to the normal...Where is that line?

The normal, but... it seems kinda redundant if it lies on the same line , anyway to me at least.

MarcL said:
The normal, but... it seems kinda redundant if it lies on the same line , anyway to me at least.
Of course, it intersects the normal, but what is the position of the line drawn from P and perpendicular to the normal, with respect to the plane? Try to draw a picture.

If you can not see it, write the distance of any point of the normal line from point P. When is it minimum, and what is that minimum distance?

Drawing a picture, as ehild suggested, is an excellent idea. Having an image to look at gives you insights that formulas and equations simply can't provide. This took me a couple of minutes to draw.
Plane_and_Line.png

Related to Find a point on the line closest to another point

1. What does it mean to find a point on the line closest to another point?

Finding a point on the line closest to another point means finding the point that is located on a given line and is the shortest distance away from a specified point. This point is also known as the nearest point on the line.

2. How do you calculate the distance between a point and a line?

The distance between a point and a line can be calculated using the formula d = |ax + by + c| / √(a² + b²), where (x, y) is the coordinates of the point, a and b are the coefficients of the line's equation, and c is a constant.

3. Can a point on the line closest to another point be located outside the line segment?

Yes, a point on the line closest to another point can be located outside the line segment. This can happen when the specified point is not within the range of the line segment, and the nearest point on the line falls outside of the segment.

4. How do you find the coordinates of the point on the line closest to another point?

To find the coordinates of the point on the line closest to another point, you can use the perpendicular method. This involves finding the equation of the line perpendicular to the given line, passing through the specified point, and then finding the intersection point between the two lines.

5. What is the importance of finding a point on the line closest to another point?

Finding a point on the line closest to another point is important in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to determine the shortest distance between a point and a line, which can be helpful in solving optimization problems and finding the best fit for data points.