Find a point charge a distance form a charged rod

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the electric field at a distance from a rod. Two different equations were attempted, but neither yielded the correct answer. The correct answer was found using the equation E=KQ/sqrt(r^2+(L/2)^2) and was determined to be 5.3x10^13 N/C. A link to a helpful resource for solving similar problems was also provided.
rocapp

Homework Statement

See image

Homework Equations

KQ/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have seen several different ways of working this problem, but they have all failed on me.

I tried this using the equation above from my book

E = (8.99x10^9)(1036 C)/(4x10^-6m)

E= 2.328x10^18 N/C

I also tried using

E = K*Q/sqrt(r^2+(L/2)^2)
E = 1.86x10^11 N/CThis was not correct. Please help. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-02 at 11.51.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-02 at 11.51.16 PM.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks! The answer is 5.3x10^13N/C

Correct.

ehild

Hello,

I can see that you have attempted to solve this problem using the equations provided in your book. However, it seems like you may be using the wrong values for the distance (r) and the charge (Q).

Firstly, the distance (r) should be the distance between the point charge and the center of the rod, which in this case is 4x10^-6m. Secondly, the charge (Q) should be the charge of the rod, which in this case is 1036 C.

Therefore, using the first equation you provided (E = KQ/r^2), the correct solution would be:

E = (8.99x10^9)(1036 C)/(4x10^-6m)^2
E = 2.328x10^18 N/C

This matches with the first solution you provided, so it seems like you may have made a mistake in your calculations.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Related to Find a point charge a distance form a charged rod

1. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical charge that has a very small size compared to the distance at which it is being observed. It is often used to simplify calculations in electrostatics.

2. What is a charged rod?

A charged rod is a conducting object that has a net electric charge. It can be positively or negatively charged and is often used in electrostatic demonstrations.

3. How do you find the distance from a point charge to a charged rod?

The distance from a point charge to a charged rod can be found by measuring the distance between the two objects. Alternatively, if the position of the charged rod is known, the distance can be calculated using the distance formula.

4. What is the relationship between the distance from a point charge to a charged rod and the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the point charge and the charged rod. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases.

5. Can the distance from a point charge to a charged rod affect the charge on the point charge?

No, the distance from a point charge to a charged rod does not directly affect the charge on the point charge. However, the distance can affect the strength of the electric field and therefore the force experienced by the point charge.