How to Read Postscript Files on Windows XP

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    files
In summary, the user downloaded and installed Ghostscript and GSview. However, they ran into an issue where the files were self-extracting and needed to be executed first.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am trying to read some PS files that I have downloaded. I followed the link to that Wisconsin site that has the software:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview

Since I am using Windows XP, I downloaded the following:

Ghostscript 8.11 gs811w32.exe
GSview gsv45w32.exe

I saved them both to the Desktop, and tried to open a PS file, but my computer still says that it doesn't know what program created the file. Do I need to save both files in the same folder? Or somewhere other than the Desktop?

What's happening here?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Did you double click on the files you downloaded to install them? Also, try installing ghostscript before ghostview.

All I did was download them and save them. Is there something else I need to do? I'm wondering why this isn't working out the same as reading PDF files with Acrobat Reader. All I had to do with that was download and save, and then all PDFs would automatically open.

Are you sure the files you downloaded weren't self extracting? When I did it they were. You would need to execute them, first ghostscript, then gsview. In the wizard that comes up there are options, I believe for having your computer treat the gs extension as telling it to use gsview.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Are you sure the files you downloaded weren't self extracting? When I did it they were.

OK, I double-clicked on each icon, and they were indeed self-extracting.

You would need to execute them, first ghostscript, then gsview. In the wizard that comes up there are options, I believe for having your computer treat the gs extension as telling it to use gsview.

I didn't see that option. The only option I had was whether to associate GSView with PS, PDF, or both. I tried to open a PS file from LANL, but even after self-extracting my computer still says that it needs to know what program created the file.[?]

You need to associate .PS files with GSView.

Originally posted by Jimmy
You need to associate .PS files with GSView.

Yes, I did that. Actually, I figured out the problem with the Los Alamos Postscripted files: They are g-zipped, and they need a different program. I just successfully opened 3 .ps files (including the one you sent me, Lonewolf--thanks!).

Thanks everyone,

Heh, welcome :smile:

1. How do I open and read Postscript files on Windows XP?

To open and read Postscript files on Windows XP, you will need to have a Postscript viewer installed on your computer. One popular option is Adobe Acrobat Reader. Once the viewer is installed, simply double-click on the Postscript file to open and read it.

2. What is the difference between Postscript and PDF files?

Postscript files are used for printing and are created using a Postscript language. PDF files, on the other hand, are used for sharing and viewing electronic documents and can be created from various file formats. Both can be opened and read on Windows XP with the appropriate software.

3. Can I edit Postscript files on Windows XP?

No, Postscript files are not meant to be edited. They are created specifically for printing and are not easily editable like other file formats such as Word documents. If you need to make changes to a Postscript file, it is best to do so in the original program used to create it.

4. What should I do if I cannot open a Postscript file on Windows XP?

If you are having trouble opening a Postscript file on Windows XP, make sure you have a Postscript viewer installed on your computer. If you do have a viewer installed and are still unable to open the file, the file may be corrupted or not compatible with your viewer. Try opening the file on a different computer or contact the creator of the file for assistance.

5. Is there a free option for opening Postscript files on Windows XP?

Yes, there are free options for opening Postscript files on Windows XP. Some popular ones include Ghostscript and GSview, both of which can be downloaded for free online. These programs may have limited features compared to paid options, but they can still effectively open and read Postscript files on Windows XP.