Reinventing the Universe: Thacker Cosmology

• Thread starter energia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary, a copyright protected website called "Reinventing the Universe" was suggested as an alternative cosmology site. The author of the site seems to have a lack of understanding of modern cosmology and particle physics and presents opinions rather than failures of current theories. The author also consistently refers to "astronomers" instead of specific scientific fields, and the site is not likely to present groundbreaking theories. The conversation ends with a suggestion to leave this subject to scientists.
energia
here is an alternative cosmology site I found on the net

the theories outlined here should keep you busy for a while

since the site is copyright protected I will only post the link and not the actual text from the site

Reinventing the Universe

take the time to read each theory before discussing it
and then do your best to outline the faults (or evidence if any) of each theory

Disclaimer ~ the opinions stated in the above link are not the opinions of physics forums nor the author of this topic

Space news on Phys.org
energia said:
here is an alternative cosmology site I found on the net

Probably not, since the author seems to show a lack of understanding of modern cosmology and particle physics. Also, with webpages entitled "Outrageous things astronomers would have us believe!", the sense of 'conspiracy theory' is evoked.

Of the many things I found objectionable, a few stand out:

He mentions in several places that "astronomers won't tell you X", where X are such things as "gravitational lenses create multiple images!". In fact, this is quite well known to anyone who understand gravitational lenses.

On the cosmology side, he doesn't seem to understand that there is more than just special relativistic redshift. He makes statements like "According to Big Bang theorists, the universe is about 15 billion years old. But it is utterly impossible for the various structures in the universe (galaxies, galactic clusters, etc.) to have formed in this short time. This alone should invalidate the Big Bang theory!", which is an (unjustified) opinion and not a failure of modern theory.

He states "The Cosmic Background Radiation is used to "prove" that the Big Bang occurred. But the radiation should be "clumpy", to match the clumpiness of the universe. Instead it is extremely smooth." , but this is completely the opposite of current CMB research, which shows a background riddled with temperature anisotropies (i.e. NOT isotropic) which are believed to have seeded the large-scale structure of the universe.

Finally, "Astronomers have absolutely no idea where ultra-high-energy cosmic rays come from. ". So what -- there a lot we don't know. It doesn't mean everything we do know is wrong.

One last final statement: the fact that the author consistently refers to "astronomers" (instead of cosmologists, astrophysicists, relativists, or just plain physicists) is indicative of something.

It's my experience that ground-breaking theories tend not to be found on copyrighted websites.

energia said:
Probably not, since after GRQC's ringing endorsement, I won't read it...

Probably not, since after GRQC's ringing endorsement, I won't read it

then you have a closed mind

scientists are objective not bigoted - in which case you're not qualified to have an opinion anyway

this subject is best left to scientists

Last edited:

1. What is "Reinventing the Universe: Thacker Cosmology"?

"Reinventing the Universe: Thacker Cosmology" is a theory proposed by scientist John Thacker that challenges traditional beliefs about the origin and structure of the universe. It suggests that the universe is not a product of a singular Big Bang event, but rather a constantly evolving and self-organizing system.

2. How does Thacker Cosmology differ from other theories?

Thacker Cosmology differs from other theories in that it does not rely on a singular event or entity to explain the origin and structure of the universe. It also incorporates concepts from chaos theory and self-organization, which are not typically considered in traditional cosmological theories.

3. What evidence supports Thacker Cosmology?

While Thacker Cosmology is still a relatively new and evolving theory, there is evidence from various fields such as astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and complex systems that support its principles. This includes observations of the universe's structure and behavior, as well as experiments in self-organizing systems.

4. How does Thacker Cosmology impact our understanding of the universe?

Thacker Cosmology challenges our traditional understanding of the universe and offers new perspectives on its origin, evolution, and future. It also has implications for fields such as physics, astronomy, and philosophy, as it introduces the concept of self-organization and complexity into the study of the universe.

5. Is Thacker Cosmology widely accepted in the scientific community?

Thacker Cosmology is still a relatively new and controversial theory, so it is not yet widely accepted in the scientific community. However, it has gained attention and support from some scientists who are interested in exploring new ideas and approaches to understanding the universe.