Find a BASIS for L(S) -The Image of S

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the basis for a plane that passes through the origin and has the equation x1 + 3x2 + x3 = 0. The basis can be found by finding two points on the plane that are not in the same line and using those vectors as a basis for S. Then, L(v1) and L(v2) can be calculated to find a basis for L(S). There was initially some confusion about whether to find the basis for S or L(S), but it was clarified that the basis needed is for L(S).
murielg

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs574.ash2/149609_293915114994_507054994_1176494_3477051_n.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I know that this plane goes thru the origim
I guess to find the two column vectors that span S, say v1 and v2
so i need to find two points on that plane that are not in the same line, right?
and then do L(v1) and L(v2) to find the basis for S ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
murielg said:

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs574.ash2/149609_293915114994_507054994_1176494_3477051_n.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I know that this plane goes thru the origim
I guess to find the two column vectors that span S, say v1 and v2
The equation of the plane is x1 + 3x2 + x3 = 0.
You can find a basis for the plane this way:
x1 = -3x2 - x3
x2 = x2
x3 = ...x3
If you squint at that awhile, you might see that any vector in the plane is a linear combination of two vectors. Those vectors are your basis for S.
murielg said:
so i need to find two points on that plane that are not in the same line, right?
That's not possible. You can run a line through any two points on a plane.
murielg said:
and then do L(v1) and L(v2) to find the basis for S ?
No, calculate L(v1) and L(v2) to find a basis for L(S). You should already have a basis for S from the work above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your answer.
I need to find the basis for L(S) not just S
Sorry i made a mstake when writing my explanation, but it's rigth there in the image i attached.
Thanks

JUST DID! sorry i read it too fast the first time
THANK YOU! :)

Related to Find a BASIS for L(S) -The Image of S

1. What does it mean to "find a basis" for the image of a set?

Finding a basis for the image of a set means finding a set of vectors that span the image of the set. This set of vectors can then be used to represent any vector in the image through linear combinations.

2. Why is it important to find a basis for the image of a set?

Having a basis for the image of a set allows us to easily represent any vector in the image using a linear combination of the basis vectors. This makes it easier to perform calculations and understand the properties of the set.

3. How do you find a basis for the image of a set?

To find a basis for the image of a set, we need to first find the image of the set. Then, we can use the image to determine which vectors are linearly independent. These linearly independent vectors form the basis for the image of the set.

4. Can a set have more than one basis for its image?

Yes, a set can have more than one basis for its image. This is because there can be multiple sets of linearly independent vectors that can span the image of a set.

5. How does finding a basis for the image of a set relate to linear transformations?

Finding a basis for the image of a set is related to linear transformations because it allows us to understand the behavior of the set under the transformation. The basis vectors can be thought of as the building blocks for the transformation of the set.