Find (a,b) for a system of linear equations given

In summary, the conversation discusses finding solutions for a system of linear equations in the form of (a,b) in the set of real numbers. The equations are converted to row echelon form and further reduced to determine the number of solutions. The three possible scenarios are no solution, one solution, and infinitely many solutions, which are determined by the values of a and b.
LTP
http://peecee.dk/uploads/042009/Screenshot4.png

I have to find (a,b) \in R when the system of linear equations
a) have no solution
b) have one solution
c) have infinitely mane solutions.

I've converted the equations so they're on a row echelon form. My question is, what do I do from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean that the equations are:

x1+ (a-1)x2+ 2x3+ (a+2)x4= a+ b
x1+ 2ax2+ ax4= 2a+ b
-(a+1)x2+ (2a+2)x3= 0
(2a+2)x2+ (4a-4)x3+ (a^2+ a- 8)x4= 4a+ ab+ b?

First, those are not in "row echelon form". There should not be an "x1" in the second equation: subtract the first equation from the second equation to eliminate that x1. Secondly, there should be no "x2" or in the third equation nor should there be either an "x2" nor an "x3" in the fourth equation. Once you have used row operations to get rid of those your last equation will be "f(a,b)x4= g(a,b)" where f and g are functions of a and b. There will be NO solution if g(a,b)= 0 while f(a,b) is not 0. There will be an infinite number of solutions if f(a,b)= 0 and g(a,b)= 0. Finally, there will be a unique solution if f(a,b) is not 0.

No, the picture just shows the system of equations.

This is it: http://peecee.dk/uploads/042009/Screenshot-1.png

Should I reduce it even further to the "reduced row echelon form", if I want to use your suggestion?

Ok, so I found that (a^2+a)x_4 = ab+b (ignore #3, I made a miscalculation).

a^2+a = 0 => a=0 or a=-1

No solution:
a^2+a=0 and ab+b != 0
a=0, b \in R except 0

One solution:
ab+b != 0 <=> ab != -b
a \in R except -1 and b \in R or the opposite.

No unique solution:
a^2+a=0 and ab+b = 0
a=0 and b= 0 or a=-1 and b \in R

Is this correct?

Related to Find (a,b) for a system of linear equations given

What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more equations with two or more variables. The solution to the system is the set of values that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

How do I find the solution to a system of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of linear equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate one variable and then using that value to solve for the other variables.

What does it mean to find (a,b) for a system of linear equations?

Finding (a,b) means finding the values of the two variables, a and b, that satisfy the system of linear equations. These values can be thought of as the coordinates of the point where the two lines represented by the equations intersect.

Can a system of linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. One solution means that there is one set of values that satisfy all of the equations. Infinite solutions means that any value for one variable will result in a corresponding value for the other variable that satisfies the equations. No solution means that there is no set of values that satisfy all of the equations.

How can I check if my solution to a system of linear equations is correct?

To check if a set of values is a solution to a system of linear equations, plug in those values into each equation and see if they result in a true statement. If they do, then the values are a valid solution to the system.