What is the best way to determine the mass percentage of NaOH in Plumbo?

In summary: We mixed 1ml of BTB with 10ml of PLUMBO and titrated with HCl to pH 7. We found that 2.5g of NaOH was needed to bring the pH to 7. This meant that there were 3.75g of NaOH in 10ml of PLUMBO. We then divided 3.75 by the mass of PLUMBO we used and got the mass percent of NaOH to be 83.3%.
Thallium
I am preparing an experiment to find out what the mass percentage of NaOH in Plumbo is and someone has allready suggested using titration, but that did not seem logic. I know how to calculate the mass percentage, but I and my group were given a sheet of paper with a problem which we are to solve. We are to make an suggestion for how to solve this problem, and I am in doubt whether this is very simple or very complicated.

PLEASE HELP!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Can you state the problem exactly as it appears on your sheet of paper.

Titrate. Simple.

I'm guessing Plumbo is a liquid?

Do you have access to phenolphtalein or a similar indicator? Otherwise you will have to check every while with pH paper...Maybe you have a digital meter, that would be good..

Anyway, it's not hard...Just take x volume (mass it) of plumbo...titrate to pH 7 with known molarity of acid...figure out how many moles of acid were needed to bring to pH 7, and that's how many moles of base are present in x volume of plumbo. Convert these moles to grams, then take this number, divide it by the mass of the volume of plumbo you used = mass %.

We have found out now and I hope we have done well.

The problem was as follows: Find the mass percentage of NaOh in PLUMBO. Nothing more, nothing less. We needed to plan what tools we were to use, what calculations we were to take and what chemicals we were to use.

We titrated with HCl three times and evaluated the results and the observations. the calculation method we used was n=m/Mm and then found the mass percentage. It wasn't harder than that though we had been working on it for hours and even our teacher gave us inaccurate or more or less incorrect advices.

The indicator was BTB!

What is a "Major school task problem"?

A "Major school task problem" is a complex and challenging assignment or project that is assigned to students in a school setting. It typically requires students to apply their knowledge, skills, and critical thinking abilities to solve a real-world problem or complete a significant task.

Why are major school task problems assigned to students?

Major school task problems are assigned to students to provide them with opportunities to develop and demonstrate their skills, knowledge, and abilities. These tasks also help students to apply their learning to real-world situations, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and prepare them for future academic and professional endeavors.

How can students effectively approach a major school task problem?

To effectively approach a major school task problem, students should carefully read and understand the task instructions, gather and organize relevant information, create a plan or outline, and allocate enough time for each step of the task. They should also seek guidance from their teachers or peers, utilize available resources, and continuously evaluate and revise their work.

What are some common challenges students face when completing a major school task problem?

Some common challenges students face when completing a major school task problem include time management, understanding the task instructions, accessing and utilizing resources, staying motivated and focused, and effectively communicating their findings or solutions. Other challenges may include technical difficulties, group work conflicts, or lack of prior knowledge or skills.

How can teachers support students in completing a major school task problem?

Teachers can support students in completing a major school task problem by providing clear and detailed instructions, offering guidance and feedback, providing access to necessary resources, and creating a supportive and motivating learning environment. They can also break down the task into manageable steps, provide examples or models, and offer additional support for students who may struggle with the task.