Financial Mathematics - Annuities

In summary, the conversation discusses an annuities formula for calculating the amount of money accumulated over time with compounding interest, with a monthly input of $W. The formula is altered by replacing W with 1.03W to account for a 3% annual increase in the input. The increase is represented by 0.03W multiplied by a fraction of the formula.
oooobs
http://www.intmath.com/Money-Math/annuity_6.gif

Above is the annuities formula (change the - to a + as i am not using it for loans) used to calculate the amount of money accumulated over a period of time with compounding interest, with a monthly input of $W.

the first part is an example of a Geometric Sequence i believe.
P(1+r)^n

I would like to find out how this formula would be altered if my input (W) was becoming greater by approx 3% p.a ?

any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks heaps!

~James Radford-Voss

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't had the benefit of studying annuities or even using this or similar formulas for that fact, so I don't know precisely what the formula represents.

However, I'll throw in an idea to see if it helps.

Since your $W is increasing by 3%/annum, couldn't we use another geometric sequence to express this?
So maybe (emphasis on the maybe), the W should be substituted with, say:

[tex]W(1+\frac{A}{100})^{m}[/tex]

where A is the increase in percentage (3 in this case)
m is the frequency of increase (per annum, hence, 1 in this case)

This is just a guess, so don't take my word for it, and be very skeptical when attempting to consider its legitimacy :smile:

oooobs said:
http://www.intmath.com/Money-Math/annuity_6.gif

Above is the annuities formula (change the - to a + as i am not using it for loans) used to calculate the amount of money accumulated over a period of time with compounding interest, with a monthly input of $W.

the first part is an example of a Geometric Sequence i believe.
P(1+r)^n

I would like to find out how this formula would be altered if my input (W) was becoming greater by approx 3% p.a ?

any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks heaps!

~James Radford-Voss
Then you would replace W by 1.03W so your formula becomes
[tex]B= P(1+ r)^n+ 1.03W\frac{(1+r)^n-1}{r}[/tex]
[tex]= P(1+ r)^n+ W\frac{(1+r)^n-1}{r}+ 0.03W\frac{(1+r)^n-1}{r}[/tex]

and the increase is that
[tex]0.03W\frac{(1+r)^n-1}{r}[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Financial Mathematics - Annuities

1. What is an annuity?

An annuity is a financial product that provides a series of payments at regular intervals, typically monthly or yearly. It is often used as a retirement tool to ensure a steady stream of income.

2. What is the difference between a fixed and variable annuity?

A fixed annuity offers a guaranteed interest rate for a specified period of time, while a variable annuity's return depends on the performance of the underlying investments.

3. How are annuities taxed?

Annuities are taxed as ordinary income, meaning the earnings are taxed at the individual's income tax rate. If the annuity is held in a tax-deferred account, such as an IRA, the taxes will be deferred until withdrawals are made.

4. Can you withdraw money from an annuity before the specified term?

Yes, but there may be penalties and fees associated with early withdrawals, as well as tax implications. It is important to carefully consider the terms and conditions of an annuity before making any withdrawals.

5. Are annuities a good investment for everyone?

Annuities may be a suitable investment for some individuals, particularly those looking for a steady stream of income in retirement. However, they may not be the best option for everyone and it is important to consult with a financial advisor to determine if an annuity is the right choice for your financial goals and situation.