Final temperature of a gas passed through a porous plug

In summary, the question involves a gas with equations of state for pressure and temperature, as well as the Nernst Postulate. The gas is passed through a porous plug in a Joule-Thomson process, and the final temperature needs to be calculated. One approach is to use the fundamental equation of Joule-Thomson effect and the differential of enthalpy, while another approach is to use the equations of state to express enthalpy as a function of pressure and temperature.
Msilva

Homework Statement

A gas has the following equations of state: [tex] P=\frac{U}{V} \,\,\,and \,\,\,T=3B\frac{U^{\frac{2}{3}}}{N^\frac{1}{3}V^\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]
where B is a positive constant. The system obeys the Nernst Postulate (S tends to zero as T tends to zero). The gas, at a initial temperature [itex] T_i[/itex] and initial pressure [itex] P_i[/itex], is passed through a porous plug in a Joule-Thomson Process. The final pressure is [itex]P_f[/itex]. Calculate the final temperature.

This question is from Callen, Thermodynamics (1985). Question 6.3-2

Homework Equations

The fundamental equation of Joule-Thomson effect is [itex] dT=\frac{v}{c_p}(T\alpha-1)dP[/itex] (*)
Alpha is the coefficient of thermal expansion and Cp is the heat capacity at constant pressure.
I think that may be useful know the differential of enthalpy [itex]dH=TdS+VdP[/itex] (assuming N constant)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the equations of state and write [itex]T=3B(\frac{P^2V}{N})^\frac{1}{3}[/itex]
Then, isolating V in this expression, I tried to find alpha: [itex]\alpha=\frac{1}{v} \frac{\partial v}{\partial T}[/itex] and replacing theese two values in the expression (*). My problem is that I didn't find the Cp.
Is my logic right? I can conclude by this way or am I completely wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can work it this way, but as you noticed, it can take some work to get a useful expression for Cp.

Instead, you can try using what you know about enthalpy for the porous plug experiment. Can you use your equations of state to express enthalpy as a function of P and T?

Likes Msilva and Chestermiller

Related to Final temperature of a gas passed through a porous plug

1. What is the final temperature of a gas passed through a porous plug?

The final temperature of a gas passed through a porous plug is dependent on several factors, such as the initial temperature and pressure of the gas, the size and composition of the porous plug, and the rate at which the gas is passing through the plug. It is typically lower than the initial temperature of the gas due to the Joule-Thomson effect.

2. How does a porous plug affect the temperature of a gas?

A porous plug is a device that allows gas to pass through it while creating a pressure drop. As the gas passes through the small holes in the plug, it expands and cools down due to the decrease in pressure. This is known as the Joule-Thomson effect, and it can significantly impact the final temperature of the gas.

3. Why does the final temperature of a gas decrease when passed through a porous plug?

The final temperature of a gas decreases when passed through a porous plug due to the Joule-Thomson effect. This effect occurs when a gas expands and cools down as it passes through a small hole, resulting in a decrease in temperature. This effect is more pronounced for gases with a low heat capacity and a high initial temperature and pressure.

4. Can the final temperature of a gas passed through a porous plug be controlled?

Yes, the final temperature of a gas passed through a porous plug can be controlled by adjusting the initial temperature and pressure of the gas, as well as the size and composition of the porous plug. The rate at which the gas passes through the plug can also affect the final temperature. Additionally, using a heat exchanger before or after the porous plug can help regulate the temperature.

5. How is the final temperature of a gas passed through a porous plug calculated?

The final temperature of a gas passed through a porous plug can be calculated using the Joule-Thomson coefficient, which is a measure of the change in temperature with respect to pressure. This coefficient is dependent on the gas's properties and can be obtained from tables or calculated using equations. The final temperature can then be determined using the initial temperature, pressure, and the Joule-Thomson coefficient of the gas.