Final Speed of a Proton and Electron

In summary: So, in summary, the equations for calculating the speed of a proton and an electron accelerated through the same electric potential difference are different because of their opposite charges and how they interact with electric potential. The proton gains speed as it moves from a point of higher electric potential to a point of lower electric potential, while the electron gains speed as it moves from a point of lower electric potential to a point of higher electric potential. This is due to the fact that the electric potential energy of a particle with a negative charge decreases as it moves towards a point of higher electric potential, while the electric potential energy of a particle with a positive charge increases as it moves towards a point of higher electric potential. This difference in potential energy is reflected in the equations for calculating
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

(a) Calculate the speed of a proton that is accelerated from rest through an electric potential difference of 121 V.

(b) Calculate the speed of an electron that is accelerated through the same potential difference.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually understand how to solve this particular problem, for the most part; when it comes to calculating the speed of the electron, there is one detail that confuses me: " The electron, since it has a negative charge, gains speed moving from Vi = 0 to Vf = 121 V. Why does the electron exclusively gain speed while moving in an electric field where Vi = 0 to a point in the field where Vf = 121? Why can't the proton also do this?

EDIT: For the proton, the conditions are: [itex]0 + qV_i = 1/2m_pv_p^2 + 0[/itex]

For the electron, the conditions are:[STRIKE] [STRIKE] [itex]0 + 0 = 1/2m_ev_e^2 + eV_f[/STRIKE][/itex] [/STRIKE]

Why do the equations differ so much? Why do they reverse the potential energy in each case?

EDIT: Conditions for the electron: [itex]0 + 0 = 1/2m_ev_e^2 - eV_f[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem does not specify the sign of the potential difference. Assume for the electron the potential difference is + and for the protn it's -.

You might have to consider relativity, particularly for the electron, since it's going to be zinging along at a good clip. My offhand guess is not, especially if you haven't covered relativity in your work thus far.

To put it another way, electrons like to roll up potential hills while protons like to roll down potential hills. So the question is asking you to compare the speed of the electron at the top of the hill with the speed of the proton at the bottom of the hill.

In terms of the math, what you get is
\begin{align*}
K_i + U_i &= K_f + U_f \\
0 + eV_\text{top} &= \frac{1}{2}m_p v_p^2 + eV_\text{bottom} \\
0 + (-e)V_\text{bottom} &= \frac{1}{2}m_e v_e^2 + (-e)V_\text{top}
\end{align*} where ##V_\text{top}-V_\text{bottom}=121\text{ V}## and ##e = +1.6\times 10^{-19}\text{ C}##.

vela said:
To put it another way, electrons like to roll up potential hills while protons like to roll down potential hills. So the question is asking you to compare the speed of the electron at the top of the hill with the speed of the proton at the bottom of the hill.

In terms of the math, what you get is
\begin{align*}
K_i + U_i &= K_f + U_f \\
0 + eV_\text{top} &= \frac{1}{2}m_p v_p^2 + eV_\text{bottom} \\
0 + (-e)V_\text{bottom} &= \frac{1}{2}m_e v_e^2 + (-e)V_\text{top}
\end{align*} where ##V_\text{top}-V_\text{bottom}=121\text{ V}## and ##e = +1.6\times 10^{-19}\text{ C}##.

Yes, but to roll up a hill, wouldn't you need initial kinetic energy?

Looking back, I see that I wrote the conservation of energy equation wrong for the electron. I'll fix that.

Bashyboy said:
Yes, but to roll up a hill, wouldn't you need initial kinetic energy?

You are taking this too literally. Electricity, unlike gravity, is of two kinds, one kind always eager to go uphill.

You need kinetic energy to roll up a potential energy hill, but that's not what's going on here. The electron is rolling up an electric potential hill. Because of its negative charge, an electron's potential energy decreases as it moves to higher electric potential.

Related to Final Speed of a Proton and Electron

1. What is the final speed of a proton and electron?

The final speed of a proton and electron can vary greatly depending on the conditions and forces acting on them. However, in a vacuum, a proton and electron will both accelerate at the same rate due to the same electric field and will reach the same final speed, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (the speed of light).

2. How is the final speed of a proton and electron determined?

The final speed of a proton and electron is determined by the initial velocity, acceleration, and time of acceleration. This can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final speed, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time of acceleration.

3. What factors can affect the final speed of a proton and electron?

The final speed of a proton and electron can be affected by several factors, including the strength of the electric field, the distance between the two particles, and the presence of other forces such as magnetic fields or other charged particles.

4. Can the final speed of a proton and electron be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed that any object can attain. Therefore, the final speed of a proton and electron cannot be greater than the speed of light.

5. How is the final speed of a proton and electron relevant in scientific research?

The final speed of a proton and electron is relevant in many areas of scientific research, including particle accelerators, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. Understanding the final speed of these particles can help scientists understand the behavior of matter and the fundamental forces of the universe.